1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Hay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JakRat, Dec 19, 2009.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Hello all,
    I have been doing the stir method on my coop hay and it breaks down and what not but I am worried that it will make them sick so we are going to clean out the coop AFTER THIS SILLY BLIZZARD! will they be ok till then? I have had no issues so far, I was just reading to much here on BYC

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not quite sure what your concern is. What is it about your hay that you think may make them sick? Could you please be a little more specific.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Oh i just read a post about amonia getting inbetween the hay and the dirt... they have proper ventilation, but I just wanted to make sure that hay stirring was healthy for them... like no mites, or amonia sickness or anything like that.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Stirring the litter is a good thing, whether it is straw or wood shavings. It breaks up the poo and dries it out. It helps keeps the ammonia down. Mites do not live in the litter so it will make no difference at all as far as mites are concerned. I don't really see any problems with stirring the litter if you have good ventilation. It will stir up dust, but that settles out pretty fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by