Coop Heat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ikatiemay, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I Live In The Colder Area Of Utah And Wonder What Should Be Done For Coop Heat. My Coop Is 8x10 And Has Insulated Walls And Ceiling. At What Temp Do The Chickens Need Heat? We Get About 4-5 Feet Of Snow Here And The Temps Can Get 10 Below At Times! Gosh Can't Wait! This Is The First Winter With Chickens So Im A Little Worried About The Cold. I Dont Knit So Sweaters Are Out Of The Question.

2. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    we're in the top part of minn. and most people don't heat their coops even though we get a couple of months at 20 below. just have a lot of ventilation and keep drafts of the chickens.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    When it gets cold here, which isn't near as often as it was in Indiana I just turn on the heat light throughout the day. Otherwise t still goes off at night. Draft free is pretty well the best way to go.

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I live in Alaska and we get much colder for much longer here than what you said, I know people who do others who dont heat here no matter 58 below 0 or not. I do heat mine, I have a flat panel heater on a timer and another on a thermostat for if it gets to 34 above.

I think the biggest thing is to have plenty of ventilation with out drafts. People dont seem to think about that when they make a coop and by winter being all shut tight for how ever long they wonder why there is watter dripping off the walls and the flooring is wet

I love my heater it is ment to be in wet areas is totaly contained and even when on I can touch it and not get burned it goes a great job on my 12x12 winter house. It sits off the wall a bit and lets the hot air rise up both behind and infront of it and my girls fight for my seramas roosts above it even though the roost is only 9 inches off the roof. Nothing like seeing a huge blue Orp squeezed in the tiny spot!

5. ikatiemay

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I Have 3 2x2 Windows And 2 Vents Up High. Also 2 Chicken Doors To The Outside Pen. I Have Been Closing The Chicken Doors At Night But Leaving The Windows Cracked An Inch Or 2. I Bought A 250 Watt Heat Bulb, Wonder If That Will Be Enough.

6. ikatiemay

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Tomboy Where Did You Get A Flat Panel Heater? That Sounds Great!!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    As long as your coop is draft-free and well ventilated save your money, and maybe your chickens lives from fire, by going without heat. They will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by