Coop Heater

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tredin18, Dec 15, 2016.

1. tredin18

tredin18 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are dry and protected from wind, they should be fine without heat.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No they don't need heat. Really by putting the set up in a barn, that is a dead space of air, which is an insulation.

Dry is what you want to keep your chickens. Wet chickens are cold chickens, dry chickens are warm. We got a major storm predicted tonight and the next day, so I added more bedding to the coop, more bedding to the run. I pile it up into mini haystacks, and after the storm, I will flip it on top of the snow.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. p3scuba

p3scuba New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    Northern Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to share a heater i designed and built, its very effective and i believe pretty dang safe. When the coop is shut up for the night it keeps the temp about 20 degrees above ambient. . Easy to build, 5" ductwork, a few 6" duct pieces, 125 watt
    heat lamp, (thermocube outlet, on at 35 off at 45)
    Chickens can't break bulb, can't roost on it, dust can't get in.

Rich

heat

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

I keep my coop above freezing with heat [​IMG],
    We all make our own choices and yes they might survive without heat , but I see the difference when it's above freezing and I choose to provide it.

I have bought two different brands of that kind of heater from wayfair.com, one lasted one year the second a month. The problem is the electrical box ( usually on the backside ) , is not sealed so dust/ dander gets in . The first one started smelling like smoke , once disassembled the wires were caked in dust and it was burning, wires were black. We got our money back .

We now use a " barn heater" from peavey mart. $35, we blow it out every few days . Lasted 3 months so far , we usually run it 4 pm til 9 am. You want a heater you can see the fan and motor so you can clean it.

7. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    [​IMG]

This is what we have, hanging from chain from the ceiling ...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by