coop heating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by codyrhodes, Jan 17, 2011.

1. codyrhodes

codyrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Gresham
    I ordered some baby chicks and when they get here i was wondering if this would work. i have a little 4x4x4x4 square around with wood shaveings on the floor and haybales for the sides and 2 heat lamps about 1.5 feet above the ground and the whole coop has plastic all over it and im sure no air will be getting in and out. i live in nebraska and it probably gets around 15-20 degrees here at night. do you think that my area will keep the chicks warm enough?

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    You need some ventilation. The heat lamps will do, though you only need one.

Here is a video of how to set-up a brooder that I produced. This should help.

1.5 feet off the floor is too close for a heat lamp. Risk of fire is eminent.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but that's what I know.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Folks brood chicks successfully in barns, outside, all the time.

I'd rather not see the entire coup wrapped in plastic as no air is exchanged and humidity has no escape, but I'm not sure what you mean by the coop entirely wrapped in plastic.

Perhaps some boards "roofing" your straw hut would be better. In other words, a little boxed in cabin for them inside the larger building. This is what I do. Now some air needs to escape the little brooding cabin, and some fresh air will fall into it, which is good. As long as there is no side gaps to allow for stiff side breezes, they'll likely do just fine. It is quite possible to create hot spots with a couple of lamps, as you propose, that will give them plenty of heat. If they get too hot, they self regulate and move away from the direct heat of the lamps.

4. Fred's Hens

As was posted, be very, very careful about the fire danger inherent with heat lamps and straw. It can be a very wicked situation.

5. Fred's Hens

I actually like two lamps. Put a thermometer in the brooder and see what the temps are holding. The reason I like two is that it is a fail-safe against a bulb failure. I don't like 4x4 sizing. i prefer a slightly larger brooder which allows 10-15 chicks more self regulating space, for moving in or out of the heat. Room for water. Room for play. Room for eating and scratching.

Do your testing of your brooder BEFORE your chicks arrive. It is a little late for testing once they show up.

6. codyrhodes

codyrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Gresham
    There is a little chimney type of pipe going out of the roof of the coop that head can escape from also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by