1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. MambaJack

MambaJack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting ready to build a coop for 8 hens.

Was wondering if anybody had opinions on if it was better to be taller or shorter.
    I am thinking about building it up against the little fish shed that sets on the end of my aquaponics greenhouse.
    The coop would be raised off of the ground some, but i have the option of either creating a new lower roof line, or building it up to the roofline on the current shed. Thoughts?

base dimensions are negotiable, but i am looking at 4' x 7.5',

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

dave

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    For that large of a coop, I want to be able to walk inside. Think about how you will access every inch of the coop standing outside.

3. MambaJack

MambaJack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    i was originally not going to make it that long, more like 4x4 but then came across the you need 4 sqft per chicken guideline.

at max the roof would probably still only be about 6' at one end, and 4'6" at the other, not enough to be comfortable standing in

4. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    I would go on a slightly taller side for safety and comfort for the chickens. If they've got a good 2-3 feet off the ground or floor of the coop, that's a decent leap for some predators. And 2 feet of head space is a great amount for them to safely fly up and get settled in.

5. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I made mine 6x8 with 7 foot walls 8 foot at the peak. That way I could 2 full sheets of 4x8 siding on each side and then I used 1 1/2 sheets on each end. For the floor I had a 2 foot wide strip of treated plywood left over which I used for the roof on my external nest box. That size minimized waste and was relatively cheap to build.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by