Coop height?

Elwar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Hudson, FL
Ok, I'll be building a 4X4 off the ground coop, just wondering what height it should be.

I plan on putting up 4 fence posts 4 feet apart, putting a floor with a wooden 'box' for the shavings on the bottom. Then on three sides an open hardware cloth door and one side will be solid with the door and nest boxes.

I know a lot of it will depend on how tall my fence posts are, but I'm trying to factor in being able to reach in to clean things up and the height that my chooks will need for their roosts.

I have 6 chicks right now...not sure how many of them are hens though. We were shooting for around 2-3.

I made my coop so I can get in to clean, four feet high. The run is six feet high because the wire was that high. I may have went over the top with it but??

30553_ramclean_078.jpg

Oh, that's a good point. How many levels do you want it? Mine's a single level so it's pretty short. Some people like their chickens to be able to get up high and roost.

What ever is easiest for you to clean. Be sure to consider access to the underneath area of the coop. You may have to clean under it or get to a sick chick underneath.

Hey crait, still have that mean roo?

Haha, he's so nice now. I've used a lot of those techniques to calm him down.
He eats right out of my hand. I walked up to him and pet him a few times. It'll just take more time I guess.

Back to the coops.
Underneath mine, I have three big concrete rocks so that mold doesn't start growing. It also promotes insects and bugs. The bugs get up under that coop and stay there for a few days and WAM! They're my chicken's snack.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom