Coop help - 30 chickens - carolina coop inspiration - WA

davehob

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Hi all

Looking to build a chicken coop & run for future chickens (now ~ 3 weeks old chicks)

This is a list of the chicks that I have (not sure if it's relevant to my coop question):

Ameraucana 3
DORKING - SILVER GRAY 1
Rhode Island Red 3
Brabanter Gold 2
SILVER SPANGLED SPITZHAUBEN 1
Amberlink 2
Brahma Buff 2
Lakenvender 2
Black Austrolorp 2
Marans - Cuckoo 2
Marans Black Copper 2
Sapphire Gem 3
Cream Legbar 3

Using as inspiration the Carolina Chicken Coop, including a link here to a particular one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83RZE_OsaI

Relevant information about this coop
- located in WA state, Seattle area, urban area
- lots of predators (coyote, hawks, foxes, cougar, bobcat, moles -not necessary a predator, others)
- create the same concrete footing that goes 3' down to protect against some predators
- 30' x 10' overall enclosed build and covered
- thinking 8' x 10' coop
- minim 3 x 10' roost bars
- 8 nest boxes, a set of 4 on each side, opening sideways
- deep litter system with Carolina Coops Industrial Hemp Bedding (or similar with suggestions)

Ideal goals:
- low maintenance
- healthy & comfortable place for the chickens
- stay within 400sqft overall with roof overhang (no permit needed that way)
- was thinking to add some drawers on the bottom of the coop

A few questions:
1. will the coop size be enough for the 30 chickens (10'x8') so 80 sqft
2. will the run size be enough
3. are the ventilation windows & top cupola be enough ventilation
4. should I insulate the coop
5. if I build some drawer-like boxes under the coop on heavy-duty hardware, and insulate those boxes, will those be good boxes to raise chicks with a heat lamp (through out the winter)
6. can someone suggest an automatic water system and heated option (collecting water from the roof)
7. does any know if the 3' footing stop the moles digging inside the coop
8. Looking for feedback on some dimensions as well:
nests - based on the chickens I have 12" W x 14" H x 12" D
roosts - allowing 1' per chicken, so 3 x 10' roosts, 24" above the floor (considering there will be 4"+ of deep litter on the floor, should this 24" be measured from the bare floor?), will have more than 18" from the parallel walls and 18" apart)
door - 12"W x 14"H
9 does anyone have a suggestion about how to make the mortise and tenon joinery for the 4x4 frame more efficiently
10 what would be ideal flooring in the run? just leave the dirt? how would a deep litter system look for the run?
11 suggestion for outsourcing high-density polyethylene sheets
12 suggestion for a better quality hinges hardware source

If I will think of other questions will update the list of questions.

I apologize if there are too many questions may be already

Thank you in advance for all the feedback

will the coop size be enough for the 30 chickens (10'x8') so 80 sqft
No, not really. Do you already have all these birds?

Link not working for me.
ETA...now it's working, in the quote, weird.

deep litter system with Carolina Coops Industrial Hemp Bedding (or similar with suggestions)
Ehhhh, not a fan. 'Deep' subject :D

If I will think of other questions will update the list of questions.
I apologize if there are too many questions may be already
Yes, that's a lot of questions for one post thread.
Add another post to this thread, instead of updating the first one, for more questions.
But I understand, there's a lot to think about when designing a coop.
Took me months of sketching and reading here before finalizing my plan.

I'll answer what I can.

1. IMO that's sufficient space for 20.

2. Run size is enough on a minimal level. You may have some behavioral issues as it'd be difficult to add needed clutter to diffuse aggression due to the number of birds vs space.

3. Ideal ventilation would be 1 sq ft per bird. Not sure if that is achievable in this layout.

4. No, we don't get cold enough anywhere in WA to require insulation.

5. No, and that's only because you don't have space to add more birds. You're already at/above maximum for the amount of space in this build, and integration uses up even more space as you need to keep the birds separate and slowly combine them after they've had time to get used to each other.

8. Nests and roost plan sound sufficient.

10. Deep litter works well provided you have sufficient drainage at the location. Sourcing materials (mainly wood chips) is not difficult in western WA.

I'll answer what I can.

1. IMO that's sufficient space for 20.

2. Run size is enough on a minimal level. You may have some behavioral issues as it'd be difficult to add needed clutter to diffuse aggression due to the number of birds vs space.

3. Ideal ventilation would be 1 sq ft per bird. Not sure if that is achievable in this layout.

4. No, we don't get cold enough anywhere in WA to require insulation.

5. No, and that's only because you don't have space to add more birds. You're already at/above maximum for the amount of space in this build, and integration uses up even more space as you need to keep the birds separate and slowly combine them after they've had time to get used to each other.

8. Nests and roost plan sound sufficient.

10. Deep litter works well provided you have sufficient drainage at the location. Sourcing materials (mainly wood chips) is not difficult in western WA.

Someone asked earlier if I have the chickens, yes I do have the chicks, 28 of them and based of the feedback received will keep it to that :)

How many sqft per chicken on the coop should be decent? Trying to see how I could compromise.

I think I can achieve the 1 sqft per chicken for ventilation

I am hoping to come up with a solution for the chickens to free range but it might be difficult with so many predators around.

As far as my thought with the drawer under the coop to potentially raise more chicks (question was if that drawer is insulated and a heat lamp added will the chicks withstand winter in it?) I wasn't thinking to add the extra ones in the same coop but a new one.

Let's say that I can push the coop to be 10x10. Is that decent for them? Do they spend much time in the chicken coop? Should I just make it 10x12?

Rosemarythyme, where you from in Wa?

Thank you

Ideally 4 sq ft is the recommended amount of space per bird inside the coop so 10x12 would be optimal, but if I understand correctly you want to keep the entire thing under 400 sq ft? If I'm mentally balancing between run space and coop space I'd have to favor run space, as it's going to get used more, which would mean 10x10 coop and possibly a 10x40 run (10x30 + an additional 10x10 space under coop).

Though I do want to point out that a 10x10 (or even 10x8) raised coop would be, to me, hellish to try and maintain. Is there a reason you want this style of set up versus a walk in height coop? Is it mainly about aesthetics, or trying to max out space, or...?

I have never tried raising chicks outside in the winter (I always seem to get chicks in May), though I know it's been done. If you're considering using insulation for that purpose the main thing is you want to make sure it's completely covered as chickens may try to eat it, rodents love to live in it!

I also don't free range due to predators. And I'll just say I'm in western WA, along with 90% of the population. :)

Though I do want to point out that a 10x10 (or even 10x8) raised coop would be, to me, hellish to try and maintain. Is there a reason you want this style of set up versus a walk in height coop? Is it mainly about aesthetics, or trying to max out space, or...?

In this style most of the under the coop area, which is probably about 3' tall is used for the run.

It all started with coming across the Carolina Coop style and they look to be one of the most popular builds around.

I guess I have to revise this decision.

In theory, I could play with the height, where I could still pretty much walk into that coop since there will be a minimum of 4' from the wall to the first roost.

I hope that what I am saying makes sense to you

These sorts of coops (Carolina, Wichita, think there's other similar designs) are popular for suburban backyard set ups because they often do maximize use of floor space, but 30 chickens is bigger than most typical backyard flocks. If you have some scrap material to play with, try laying out a mock version of what the coop would be like as far as height, depth, etc, and try to imagine maneuvering around in that space.

Things to consider: In the coop itself, can you reach in and reach every corner to clean? What if you needed to access a bird that was sick or injured, or an egg laid in the wrong spot, or to make interior repairs?

Same question with the run space under the coop. Assuming you build it with 36" space underneath a 10x10 coop, can you reach every corner? If not, do you mind crawling on hands and knees in order to do so?

I have a bum back and knees. I spent my first 2 years with chickens having to bend down and lift and push/pull to clean out the coop. So now I want to stand upright, and I want easy access. My coop is almost too tall now! But maybe your back is great and you don't mind doing those things. Just wanted to give you some points to consider.

I'm planning on building a smaller version (8x18 overall / 6x8 coop) of this. The one change I'm going to make over the Carolina Coops is to have doors front and back of the coop so I can reach in from both sides.

If I had as much space available as you I'd probably make it a walk in and as you're going to add drawers under the coop I don't think you're saving much space.

Carolina Coops never talk about square footage in the coop, they always use the 12" perch space per bird rule but on here people say 4sq ft minimum (or is it a combination of both?). More space is better.

Thank you all for the feedback so far

I think me and my chicks need to have a serious talk and figure out what we're going to do 🐥

Not as easy decision as I thought

I will continue to read this thread for new suggestions to my other points.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom