Coop Help Needed- Fencing Ideas-Please!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoccerMomof7, May 6, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay how high do I need the fence to be from my chickens. They are just chicks now so I don't know how high it would need to be. Also what is the most inexpensive way to fence in an outside area? I thought we were going to have the money to do 6 ft wood fencing but things come up like always, so now I need an idea for a cheap temporary fence until we get the wood one up.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you want your run fence atlest 4ft tall.an prolly 5ft tall.depending on how tall they have rolls of wire.as you can clipps the hens wings to keep them from flying over the fence.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Remember a fence usually has to do 2 things: keep chickens in, and keep predators out.

With clipped wings and unmotivated chickens, 4' may be high enough (though you need to make real sure they can't hop/flap up onto an object such as the coop and from there over the fence, using the object as a 'step stool').

But *nothing* open-topped is going to be particularly predator-safe. Even in cities there are raccoons and dogs, and often some hawks. Just something to take into account...

Good luck,

Pat

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    We just used 2x4's and chicken wire for ours, and put a bird netting on top to keep chickens in.

5. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:I think that is something like we are going to do.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I use a standard five foot height. SO far no problems and I feel that is a good place to start. I keep their wings clipped and plenty of shrubbery for them to shelter under.

DO be careful to keep anything from the edge of the fence that they can hop onto. Chickens are amazing escape artists and a fence is merely an obstacle to them.

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Last summer we used snow fence (that ugly orange) went around the yard, used 3' high nearer the yard with no problems...this year we had to build Fort Knox! We used 6' high chick wire, tied rope to the roof of the hen house to the wire placing the "fruit tree" netting and clothes pins to hold it above our heads. This of course was the chickens with both clipped wings still flying over the fence. Goooood Greif these girls are simply entertaining. Wish we could give them the free range like last year, yet they cannot be trusted, nor the fox, weasles, Bald Eagle, Osprey or cars. Oh, and around the bottom of the fence, we cut down a tree last winter, I stapled the bottom of the fence to the logs. Good luck and soon YOU TOO will be an expert-but only for these birds!

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks very much, 3 of my birds are 6 weeks old and are needing some outside play time. I wish I could let them free range also but I live in town, and even though I have plenty of area for them to roam they will probley still end up in the neighbors yard!

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And be sure to check the Pests and Predators section, as Pat says, keeping the bad things out is harder than keeping your chickens in.[​IMG]

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Chicken wire is only made to keep chickens in... it will not keep predators out.

Thus, if you have dogs, raccoons, fox, etc. that might get into your yard and to your chicken run... you need to go with something more substantial. Welded wire is great (more expensive) and then you would want to put 1" chicken wire around the bottom 2 feet of it and bury that down into the ground at least 15 inches so nothing digs underneath.

You mentioned using wood as your fence? Are you thinking of making their run with it, like a privacy fence? I think you'd regret that because you can't watch your chickens through it!! And most of us find that we love to watch our chickens from the house or other parts of the yard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by