1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop house clean up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by redneck farmer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop house design is to small for me to fit in... But I know my chickens r gonna poop in it... How do u suggest cleaning it

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

do you have a picture? photo or any real info so that we can attempt a response? lol.
    Not enough info.

3. redneck farmer

It's not built yet I just know I won't be able to get in it when it's built... How do u clean your coop house

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You need a door large enough to reach into the coop with a rake or shovel or whatever suits. My coop is 8 feet long. One side has two doors 3 feet wide as tall as the side of the coop (4 feet) . Opening these enables me to reach into this coop that is 24 inches off the ground to clean it.

Chris

5. redneck farmer

Thank u... Any suggestions on what to use for the floor of the coop house... I'm using sand for the run but what about the coop!?

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I like pine shavings the best. And lately I've been using the extra small shavings, looks almost like sawdust, but not dusty. Pine shavings are the most absorbent material I think.... :)

also: I like throwing leaves in my chicken yard. They love to scratch around in them and can mulch them down in no time! lol

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. Flock Me

Flock Me Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Wayne, Maine
    I use leaves from oak trees throw handful of meal worms or scratch on top every am hens turn manure into leaves blends into beautiful compost. Coop is ice free no smell no bugs cause floor is raised off ground covered with vinyl and I spread DE once a month. Compost in coop is dry and cold due to our Maine climate come spring I put wheel barrow under the 4'x8' window on hinges, rake out and wheel it to my garden. Fertilizing garden and spring coop cleaning done in one fifteen chore. I micro manage and multitask all things on our four acre mini homestead. We love our country lifestyle hope your coop is perfect for your situation! Enjoy your birds ours are awesome parts of our small flock.

8. redneck farmer

Where do I buy DE??

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have found mine in two places - Tractor Supply, and Lowes. Make sure it is food grade!

10. redneck farmer

Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by