Coop Humidity in Winter

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
This morning I detected a slightly humid smell in my chicken coop, so I decided to get a remote temp/humidity sensor to put in my chicken coop. I have a base station weather display in my house and it can monitor up to 7 remote devices. So now I got a new remote sensor sync'd up to the base station and will put it out in the coop later today, or tomorrow.

In the process of setting up another remote sensor to put in my coop, I decided to check the current outside temp and humidity. It is currently 32F and the humidity is 83%! It has been raining/snowing the past few days and today is also dark and gloomy. I am assuming that any remote temp sensor in my uninsulated coop with some open windows and vents is going to be pretty close to 32F and I would expect the humidity to be maybe a little bit higher in the coop than outside.

So, even if I had perfect ventilation in my coop, the best humidity I could expect today would be 83%. That's far from dry in my book. I know there is much discussion about keeping the coop well ventilated and dry in the winter, but how does one achieve that goal when the outside temp is 32F and the humidity is 83%? Is there any chart for acceptable temp and humidity for chickens? My concern, of course, is with 83% humidity outside and a nighttime temp dropping down to about 28F, how can I possibly keep the coop dry?

FYI, my coop is built with wood and has a wood roof with shingles. There are 2 sliding windows on my coop which are half open. I have 2 small vents on the tops of the roofline. There is no visible build up of wet water drops or such on the wood, or the glass windows. I use a deep litter of wood chips about 8 inches deep right now.

If water vapor isn't condensing on surfaces, you may be safe in assuming you have adequate ventilation. On the other hand, if temps dive well below freezing, it does increase the risk of frostbite.

For this reason, I have heaters in my coops that keep the temp hovering just above freezing. I use an oil filled electric space heater in my larger coop and a Cozy coop infrared wall heater in the smaller coop.

If water vapor isn't condensing on surfaces, you may be safe in assuming you have adequate ventilation. On the other hand, if temps dive well below freezing, it does increase the risk of frostbite.

For this reason, I have heaters in my coops that keep the temp hovering just above freezing. I use an oil filled electric space heater in my larger coop and a Cozy coop infrared wall heater in the smaller coop.

I am trying to avoid the chickens getting frostbite, which is why I try to keep the coop dry. With the outside humidity of 83%, that is not possible.

My plan is not to use any heat in the chicken coop if at all possible. My coop is not insulated. I have vents and windows cracked open to circulate air and to keep moisture from building up in the coop. However, when the outside humidity is at 83%, there is little chance to make the inside of the coop drier.

You are correct there is nothing you can do if the humidity is high outside. A good target would be to have the indoor coop humidity within 5-10% of the outdoor humidity. Lack of ventilation comes into play when your coop humidity levels are a lot higher compared to outside levels.

Thanks, that's what I was concerned about.

If you have extra remote sensors. Place one in the coop at roughly roost height and another outside. If the humidity and temp remain close you ate doing well. Today the weather channel says it is 51F & 83%humidity. My weather station in the coop says 52F & 81 humidity. Of course no chickens in the coop since this morning.

Last edited:
When you live in a cold climate with regular high humidity it is best to be careful with breed choice.

Tiny combs, or huge combs that flop over are least likely to get frostbite.

Also... high humidity makes it more likely for mud or snow clumps to form on feet. Check their feet often.

Is this going to be an issue in a few weeks? As temps drop and winter becomes snow rather then mixed with rain, won't your humidity also drop? That's what is expect in NH and I'm guessing pretty true in Northern MN too.

Is this going to be an issue in a few weeks? As temps drop and winter becomes snow rather then mixed with rain, won't your humidity also drop? That's what is expect in NH and I'm guessing pretty true in Northern MN too.
It's the same here.
This is when frostbite often happens, high humidity and near freezing temps...
....maybe more so than when the temp are much lower, but it's drier.
It's the times of 'thaw' after long cold spells and copious snow that I see the FB happen....and condensation on inside of coop, even with lots of ventilation.
I've pretty accepted that FB is going to happen, I can't really prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom