Coop idea. What do you guys and girls think?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flyboy129, Jul 29, 2011.

1. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Hello all!
    I'm a newbie here, but not to birds. I have built and rebuilt coops, always improving them trying to achieve that impossible perfect coop. [​IMG] I know, I know. Every situation and setup is different, along with personal preferences. So, my preferences are ease of maintenance, easy to clean, predator proof, and this time, since I don't have room for 30 plus hens and a rooster, small. I am currently building a minibar. Ten feet wide by 12' long. The back 2 feet will be for chickens. 4-5 max. My nest boxes will be built into the wall about 30" up, and will be accessible from the outside. The roosts will be 1 1/2" PVC pipe with antislip vinyl on the top. Below them will be a 2x4 wire covered lift up hatch for the poop to fall thru and allow me to sweep out the coop. Beside the roosts will be a 2'x4' awning window covered with hardware cloth. I have picked up 1/16" plastic sheets (4x8) to completely cover the inside of the coop. All the seams will be caulked. This is so I can literally sweep the bedding out thru the hole under the roosts, and hose the coop out if i want. Thoughts? Ideas? Critiques?

2. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

If I could some quick thoughts, the nest boxes would be 30 inches from the floor ? This seems to high, most chicken coops tend to have the nest boxes lower to thefloor with the perching set at same height or higher.

Have a look at our chicken coops here for ideas http://www.woodenart.org.uk

Mark.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Not so impossible, mine's perfect and has been in use for decades. (See my BYC page for pics of my setup)

4. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    The 24" height seems to be the norm, however, the previous coop I had built had two levels of nests. One at 24" and the other at about 42". The hens liked the top row better! I dunno? That is why I decided on 30" for this one. And as far as perfect coop, that is really referring to me never being satisfied with one coop. I build it, then see a clever idea or where I didn't think something through as far as I should have and go "DOH!" Ha ha. But, I don't just go and build another one. [​IMG] I am happy enough with the end result to toss it out the window.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by