1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 96civic87

96civic87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    New iberia louisiana
    Let me know what u think on my idea

[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It looks very nice. I assume your using the rain water back to nipples or less lugging of water which is a cool idea. One thing is your run may want to be taller. From my experience it's just a pain when you have to grab a chicken or do any kind of maintenance in the run bent over or on your knees.

For construction of coop, your overall design is just like Purina's coop. Here is a link to the materials and construction to aid you.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/ecmp2-0160674.pdf

3. 96civic87

Nov 17, 2013
    New iberia louisiana
    Thanks for the info. I wonder what would it cost to make a coop like this or the purina

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Very nice sketch...is it to scale? I see no dimensions.
    Agrees on taller run, but I'm old and don't like to crawl thru chicken poop....or crawl anywhere for that matter....lol.

Let's say 4' x 8' x 8' coop and 8' x 8' x 8' run and all new materials with 1/2" hardware cloth (maximum predator protection)....$500-$1000.

Rain barrel to nipple waterers will need some fine screening/filtration or the nipple will clog.

5. 96civic87

Nov 17, 2013
    New iberia louisiana
    I might build the coop first because im worried about what the neighbor will say idk. I was thinking 4x6x6 for the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by