Coop ideal for 6 Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bbowen, Dec 31, 2009.

1. bbowen

bbowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Can you guys point me to some coop ideas for 6 Barred Rocks? I've looked a tons of designs and can't figure out which to choose. I have 6 chicks coming next week so it will be awhile before I need the coop but I'd like to get started on it.

I live in Very Northern New York State (we're USDA Zone 4) so it needs to be able to withstand our winters. I'd fence off an area around the coop for ranging. Moveable is nice but not required. Simple to build and cheap would be great.

Not sure what info you'd need to help me decide.

Thanks!

2. John8404

John8404 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is what I have for 6 BO's

Edited to add it is 8x8 with a 10x8 run. The coop is divided to a 4x8 section for them and the same for storage.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    John,

That looks nice. Do you have any interior shots? How about plans? Thanks.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I was going to say, an 8 by 8 would be really nice for 6 hens. That's what I have, and it is roomy, but a great use of materials in building. Hopefully I will get off my butt this week and get a BYC page submitted for the coop contest. It is a shed style, easy to build. With an 8 by 8 there would be a bit of room for expansion--which often seems to happen!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

An 8 x 8 would be great, as the other posters have suggested. With you being in a pretty cold region, you'll want more interior space for winter times. My coop is only 6 x 8 interior, with 5 standard chickens (although I will probably add a roo in the spring), and I wish I had gone with an 8 x 8... Put the extra money in up-front for good insulation...you won't regret it!

6. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Thanks folks. I have no carpentry knowledge so I'm looking for something that will tell me you need to buy x plywood, y 2x4s, etc and then how to assemble it.

I haven't found a book that was detailed enough or a site that sold plans that I new was legit. I don't want to buy a premade coop. I;d like to make this a learning opportunity all the way through.

Is there a reputable site that sells coop plans of the size I need?

Thanks again.

7. cappy

cappy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    Did you check out the design, construction, maintenance section of this forum? Lots of good ideas there.
    Ken

8. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I like that.

9. John8404

John8404 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    Quote:Here is what I sent to another BYC member: Ok, on second thought, you might not be abe to interperet my "chicken scratch" but here is a rough estimate for materials, then I will tell what I did.

Treated 2x4x8-4
    non treated 2x4x8 studs-around 35
    plywood 1/2 thick 14
    concrete deck pilons-5
    1 role of roofing felt
    1.3 square shingles

You are basically making 5 equal squares, putting them together and adding a triangle to the top.

I made the floor frame first using the treated 2x4's outside dimensions 8x8 (cut 3" from 2 of them)
    the floor joist's are 16" on center as are the walls, for the most part. the roof is a 30 degree angle and 7' from soffet to peak 24" on center.
    I constructed all in the driveway and then transfered it all to the back yard with my bride driving the tractor and trailer with me in tow carring it all. There it was assembled. All in all it was very easy and when you get started let me know and I can snd more detailed pics if you run into a snag. If you have a square and a level you can build anything. Dont hire it out. I priced the compareable sizes at lowes and built this one for a fraction of the cost. This is great therapy for me being I recently retired from the military and am driving my bride nuts being in the house.

Just let me know and I'll help as much as I can.
    The list does not include the run area.
    So far the total cost for what I have is around 550.00 usd including the chickens

[​IMG]

This pic is pre roost modification

10. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Thanks John. I really like what you've got there. Seems like it is providing ample room indoors and outdoors for the birds.

I've just been offered a storage building but I'm not sure on the dimensions. If its big enough I'd have to have it moved here which will cost me an arm and a leg, so I still may have to build my own.

We're in the midst of a snowstorm here so I can't get pics of the shed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by