1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I'm trying to figure out what coop design would work best for my flock. I currently have 5 adult chickens and 8 chicks But I will be adding to the flock.They are free ranging so I just need somewhere to lock them up at night and a place for nest boxes. I'm located in east Texas so predators would mainly be coyotes, raccoons, and birds of prey, I think.

2. A coop with multiple roost bars in some distance apart would help. As they will take a long time to integrate. Free ranging is a great way to keep the peace while integrating. Or possibly multiple coops.

Wish ya the best.

[​IMG]

3. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    How much space am I going to need per chicken? I have a mix of bantams and regular size chickens.

4. It really depends on your set up. I personally like at least 2 sf per FULL SIZED chicken. Most people will recite the 4 sf per bird for the coop. I am very comfortable with
    2 sf as I have been raising chickens in a warmer climate. In my photo is a 5 X 4 coop. I have personally used this coop numerous times with as many as 17 squeezing in ( although only for a short period of time) it.

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by