1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop improvements ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by City Coop, Feb 9, 2012.

1. City Coop

City Coop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    My house that I moved into last year came with a coop and chickens! Unfortunately we had a raccoon attack about a month ago and I lost my two ladies. I ordered a dozen chicks that should arrive early April. I have two months to reinforce the coop and add any additional remodels you guys can suggest.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q602/CityCoop/photo2.jpg

Coop and run space. My best guess is 12x12 or so total space fenced in.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q602/CityCoop/photo1-1.jpg

Fenced area with perches galore

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q602/CityCoop/photo-1.jpg

Shed converted coop with 5 nest boxes, shelf, and perch. Maybe 4x6 or so. If I plan on keeping all 12 chicks should I start building another coop? The shed coop has a door, but it has rusted open. I usually just locked the run door and they always seemed good inside the coop(the attack happened because they got locked out of the run). Should I be worried that the coop is exposed on one side? Any tips to make the shed a little more comfortable for my ladies?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. City Coop

Feb 6, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    For some reason my posts were not showing so I linked my images. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally, I would always want a door. It's just one more level of security. So I'd suggest you either find a way to use the rusted door or build a wooden one with hardware cloth covering it. I don't know whether your run has a wire skirt or not, but many predators (including dogs) will dig beneath a fenceline to get to chickens.

And looking at the pic showing the front (?) of your run, there appears to be an opening at the top of the wooden fence (right side of your picture). Is there wire there that I'm just not seeing in the pic??? If not, get some nailed in there... Does the shed window have wire over it as well???

4. City Coop

Feb 6, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I do not have a wire skirt installed. Thanks for the tip!
    The coop has no gaps in the wire frame, just a poor picture. The window on the shed is covered as well. I have a limited supply of tools, but need to figure something out with the door. I would love to install some type of automatic door because I work late nights and want them to be able to get inside at dusk on their own.

Thanks for your suggestions!

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I would change out the chicken wire and replace with hardware cloth, and secure it to the wood with screws and washers. I would also have an 12- 18 inch apron extending out at the dirt level, although there was a recent post of someone saying he had rats tunneling under that. Where did the raccoon come in at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by