Coop in hot weather - Wire floor a solution?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schumschum, Feb 27, 2012.

1. schumschum

schumschum New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    San Diego
    Hi everyone,

I have thoroughly enjoyed learning and reading about all of your amazing coops so far!
    We are currently thinking of redesigning our girls' coop for the summer. Since we live in Southern Cal it gets nice and toasty down here. Someone suggested that we redesign our coop with wire flooring - but is that a good idea? I'm worried about their feet. Then again, they have access to a large run, so they usually don't even go into their coop right now except for sleeping and laying eggs.
    And what about draft? Is that a problem if the floor is wire? Would we need additional ventilation on the top?

Also, if anyone has other tips and tricks for keeping birds in hot temperatures, please let me know! Last summer our girls were still small and the heat didn't bother them at all, but I want to be well prepared this year, so I'm starting kinda early. I would greatly appreciate any advice :)

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Wire is hard on their feet, and offers little protection from predators and NO protection from drafts.
    It's also much harder to clean.

Add more ventilation up high and they will be fine

3. schumschum

schumschum New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    San Diego
    Thanks for your input! Since they would be outside during the day and on the roost sleeping at night I didn't think the wire would be that bad but I'm definitely worried about it.

Predators wouldn't be a problem. Their coop is inside a very secure run.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Insulation in the walls/roof can help also.

5. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Just harware cloth the bottom and they should be fine with small holes and poop will mostly fall through and be easy to recycle

6. schumschum

schumschum New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    San Diego
    Great replies, thanks everyone!
    Does anyone want to share pics of their coop with wire floors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by