Coop in progress and some chick pictures. New pics on page 2!

Alaska animal lover

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
big_smile.png

Last edited:
ohh ~ this is looking awesome!! AND , I see that you have green grass!! Congrats! lol ~
My hubby is an Alaskan ~ born & raised in Kenai ~
~Red

You and the girls will love the Orps; at maturity they are very beautiful and gentle birds. Fantastic job on the coop.

Your daughters are precious!
love.gif

Here's wishing you all the best.

We put the window in today, and cut out their "chicken door" and my DH will be putting in the door for collecting eggs from outside.
Due to our cold winters, we are keeping the windows to a minimum. One 24"x24" sliding window.
We have everything insulated now, even under the floor and in the celing of course.
The collection hatch will be insulated and so will the "chicken door" so there will be les heat loss there in the winter.
I will post more pictures later.
Thanks for all the compliments!

Coop looks like it's about 8x8?

How big is your flock?

I am looking at building a coop with about the same dimensions as yours for about 12 buckeyes. I planned on 8x10 so I could get away with 7 sheets of plywood, plus whatever I needed for the roof if I don't put a metal one on.

I'm thinking 8x10 is big enough for 12-20 buckeyes? The run will be 10x25... hope I'm constructing a big enough coop for my girls!!?
hmm.png
I guess if I find I need to go bigger I can always add on this fall. lol

The coop is 8x8x8h. I only have eight 3 week old chicks right now, but I anticipate getting a few more in the future. I probably won't go to capacity just because they will be staying inside when it gets cold. I want them to have plenty of room. I have a materials list around here somewhere. You might not need as much as us depending on your climate and if you have a snow load. We bought shingles for the roof, which is why the pitch is so steep, better snow shed.
I know we used 16 sheets of 7/16 OSB. That was our inside sheeting, including the celing, and our roof. The outside is T1-11. The floor inside is treated subfloor plywood, and the whole thing is sitting on treated lumber.
I figured if I were going to invest my time and money into these chickens, I wanted to make their house last as long as possible.

Looks great! The cuties are all adorable, especially the human ones.

You will absolutely love your Buff's. They are the sweetest chckens. I have 5 and 5 Americaunas. My buffs are so sweet and friendly and I even have two that come to me in the coop and want me to hold them and pet them and they will sit on my lap for a long time if I let them.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom