Coop in progress

bookwormofdune

Chirping
Sep 16, 2015
Some pictures of the coop me and the BF were building today. It is loosely based on one I found in the coop section. I'll post which one when I get a chance to go back through them.

It decided to start raining when we started to get going. You can sort of see where we are digging a pit to put the run. We're planing it to basically be a big box with a roof. The "mesh" will extend underground and cover the bottom of the run. Planning on putting sand on top of the bottom mesh.

Building under the tarp.

Sides Framed

Framing done. Cutting out the run door.

Finally calling it a night. Need to add the roof, plywood for the nest box, and various doors. Run will be done after next weekend.

Very nice! You are building yours a lot faster than I'm building mine... (I started this spring
hide.gif
lol.png
) What are it's dimensions?

The coop is 4'x3' and around 6' at the highest point. Raised 2' off the ground.

I have my chicks in my bath tub.....I can't wait to have my bath tub back lol

Or how much poop they make? Or feed they waste?
roll.png
I eventually switched out to a nipple waterer (thank goodness, nipple waterers are amazing!) and homemade feeders made out of peanut butter jars. They have to stick their heads into the jar to eat, and because it is raised off the floor they can't kick shavings inside, and the lip prevents beaking out... it made chickdom much easier!

Oh man. I finally set up horizontal nipples. They help my sanity. The chicklings were very talented in kicking their bedding up to and into the watered untill it all got wicked out. Had to clean out bedding twice one day. I'm going to do a pvc feeder for the coop.

I did but sadly no pictures. We were running out between downpours. The nest box is built and the lid is shingled and attached. The roof is on and shingled. Painted two of the window doors. Just need to finish putting trim on two doors (pop and human) add a ramp, poop board, roosts, paint the whole thing, and add in the pvc feeder and waterer. Oh and build a platform to put the bucket that will feed the water nipple pipes. We're getting there. If I can get the weather to play nice in the morning ill try to get the window doors in place and paint.

Some more progress pictures. This is probably the last until we do the run next week. Still need to add in the vents, put hook latches to hold the window covers and pop door open, the perches (leaning towards making them removable), the ramp, one door needs framing and of course feeder and waterer. Anyone spot any issues that will need to be addressed? I do realize that 3 padlocks on the cook may be a bit overkill but I realize how cursed clever racoons can be.

Slight miscalculation on the pop door, the latch is a bit too long. We're planning to attach it to the ramp instead of the coop.

Nifty light I found at Ace, Battery powered and insanely bright. Juuuust in case I need a touch of light in the coop from time to time.

Ran out of framing for the human access door.

Back
Top Bottom