Coop in southern California

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tom e, Aug 30, 2010.

1. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Well I've unpgraded my chickens digs to a very large run/coop. They seem to really enjoy it, but then again it's been summer the whole time they've had it. I'm suddenly looking ahead and wondering whether they will need a more 'indoor' portion in the winter?
    Initially I was thinking it wouldn't really be required where I live. The coop is about 8 foot deep, maybe 10 wide and about 6-7 feet high. It has a roof that should be water proof, and a roost that would block most winds, but it's partially open on two sides.

I live in Santa Paula CA, that's Ventura County. Doesn't really get cold here. How cold is cold for chickens?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I live out in Kern COunty near Edwards AFB. It get farily cold out here in the winter and my birds still spend most of the time outside. The only time they stay in is if it's really windy and a few of them have the sense to some in when it rains.

That being said 4 sq feet per standard size bird is recomended. How many do you have? You should have enough room in there for 20 standard birds to live in your coop comfortably, more if they are bantams

3. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Sounds good, I think they'll be fine then. You guys get both hotter and colder if I'm not mistaken.
    I have 5 pullets and one rooster, they are all about 13 weeks or there about. I have been told it's a lot of room for them, but I won't ever be able to let them out of the coop (no fence and every neighbor is a farm.. I don't think it would be very neighborly of me to turn them loose on someones crops!!) so I wanted to give them lots of room and roosts.
    Last time I posted here I had three hens and a rooster, but I gave them and the old coop to a friend, because I couldn't successfully introduce the young ones. The big ones just wanted to eat them it seemed.
    Anyway I think I have all I need now till someday I need to replace any of them.

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Do you think you can manage to post a picture of your housing arrangement?

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The waterproof part of the roof is pretty important. When birds get really wet, their feathers lose their insulating properties and birds can get badly chilled that way. Has it been so dry where you are that you haven't seen how your roof performs in the rain?

I live in the DFW area. We have a friend here who has been keeping poultry for 20 plus years in chain link dog kennel runs with tin roofs. He has standard size chickens and even some Serama crossbreed bantams, and all of his birds do fine in our winters, which dip below freezing from time to time. He tarps the sides of his pens on the coldest nights/days.

If your chickens are standard size birds (not cold intolerant breeds of bantams), and if they have a dry, draft free place to roost, they should be fine even in quite cold temps.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sorry for the duplicate post.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I can sure try! It all depends on what this site requires for uploading pics. I only have the Internet via the iPhone, which is a bummer but it's something we put up with to live where we do. We'd get satellite if we knew how long we'd be here (it seems a two year commitment). I'll go snap a few and see if I can get them up!

8. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Nope doesn't look like I'll be able to post the pics I just took till next time I go to the coffee shop.
    The roof is that green plastic wavey sort of material. It hasn't been tested by rain yet, but each peice is overlapped with the next, and I caulked the places where a new one begins. I got all parts of my coop free on CL over time except for the galvanized hardware cloth, nails, screws, and door parts. I say that because I couldn't help that the roofing had small holes in it. They were stacked and joined through the holes with zip ties. So there will be some drippy spots there.
    I also built the frame so that there is an extra 2x6 on the back wall under the roof. So it's one 2x6's width higher on the back then the front, hopefully it will run off for that.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Good luck with your coop and run tom e. It would be very good to check where it drips the next time it rains. I caulking gun and tube of silicone will seal the holes (squeeze tube silicone is also available). I wouldn't worry too much about cold. My birds are going to spend their first full winter in their new coop too here in AZ but I know it will never get close to the temps I experienced in MI growing up and our chickens did just fine then without any insulation or heating.

10. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Good thinking! Don't know why it never occurred to me to caulk the holes whil I was building it. I'll get up there and do that before we get any rain. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by