Coop in the making

ivyboo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I have been making a coop 6x6 for my 6 chickens. I plan to try out the DL method inside by using pine shavings. I also have a run that goes under the coop and out another 6ft. I plan to put a roof over the run. What is the best for the ground in the entire run? Should I use pine shavings, and grass clippings?

You can keep it just dirt, you an add washed construction sand, peat moss, wood chips, grass clippings....anything not chemically treated I would say. It also depends on how wet the area gets. My run is very wet in the spring and the sand I used hardened with the dirt and poop and now I have to chisel/shovel it all out. I am going to try some wood chips and peat moss to help with the smell. I do give mine grass clippings when we mow and they love it.

Your coop is raised?

Deep litter bedding needs to be on the earth to function.
The nutrients in it draw the worms and microbes that compost it. No ground contact means no decomposition.

I have a wood floor in my coop. It has been up and running for years. I can attest to it needing cleaned out twice a month at least.

Just thought you should know.

I have an old concrete floor in my coop, and use shavings and plant material as bedding on top, and it's fine. It gets shoveled out two or three times each year. Having a roof over your run will be much better than dealing with the rain and snow! Mary

I would put stuff in the run. Mulch, leaves, some grass clippings(not a lot) pine cones and small twigs. It will give them something to scratch in, keep them busy and find bugs to eat.

Your coop is raised?

Deep litter bedding needs to be on the earth to function.
The nutrients in it draw the worms and microbes that compost it. No ground contact means no decomposition.

I have a wood floor in my coop. It has been up and running for years. I can attest to it needing cleaned out twice a month at least.

Just thought you should know.
Yes my coop is raised. It has a wood floor but I put vinyl down on top for easy cleaning. The run is open under the coop and about 6ft in front of the coop. I just wasnt sure if the dirt floor in the run was good enough or if I should be putting mulch, grass clippings etc. in there so it's not just dirt.

Back
Top Bottom