Coop in the storm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wayneh, Apr 12, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    well we got our baptisim of fire last night. storms rolled through and did some damage to our house and the coop. it blew the coop over with the chicks inside. scared the uknow what out of me. the chicks were fine, just a little scared and wet. got the coop uprighted and some new dry bedding for the chicks. checked them all and they were fine. the coop did have some damage, but its rapairable. damage to our house is not bad and can be fixed. so I guess everything came out fine, now for the Wally World for some people food and some juicy worms for the chicks. happy chicky day to all.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    WHEW! Glad everybody is OK! Mother Nature sure can blow some tremendous winds!

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Glad everyone's OK!

I'm glad we only have to deal with lots of cold and snow up here in the north! [​IMG] Tornadoes and earthquakes and hurricanes scare me silly!

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yikes! sorry to hear that....hope you get everything back in order soon. That's my one concern with our coop and living in Florida (hurricanes) I wasnt planning on using straps to hold down the coop.....but now rethinking that. [​IMG]

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm glad everything is ok we had a twister come thru a week ago monday and missed the house and shop with the chicks in it by 10ft we only had minor damage i told my hubby that when we build the coop i want it storm proof at least now i don't have to worry about the limbs that were stuck in the tree from the ice storm falling on the coop the twister took care of them for me again i'm glad everyone is ok

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    This happened here a week ago. Two pens blown over from south winds. I had these pens anchored for west or north winds. Severe storms! Our home is fine and the pens around this one is fine. we were able to flip the other one back over, no damamge to it or the 7 birds in it but this one smacked a tree and you see the results. There were 3 hens in the little coop on eggs. the hens are fine, eggs are totally gone but those hens were still on the nest boxes, though a bit sideways![​IMG] All the birds (6) in this one were fine, too but I am out one pen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see it took down about 70 ft of fence line, too. We had to repair that quickly to let the chicks out of the shed that day. Thank goodness I had those green metal posts laying here. We grabbed those up and got it done in a hurry.
    Below is what the pen looks like once we rolled it back over in it's original spot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yikes! Glad everyone is OK.

Our half-built coop weathered the storms. Not having any siding on 2 sides yet probably helped [​IMG] We also lost a tree but it fell clear of both the coop and the shed so we were lucky.

8. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Wow, seeing this makes me happy we burried the 4x4 treated posts 16"deep and filled the holes with concrete for the coop! We have been debating how to anchor the run. Think it is going to deserve more thought.

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Quote:poor babies i bet they were shaken up seeing this makes me even more determined to make my coop storm proof

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we have to hurricane strap and cement everything in place so it doesnt get blown around down here in FL. Buildings are all hurricane strapped down, all new runs are having 4x4 posts set in cement this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by