Coop inside barn?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prankin2011, Sep 1, 2016.

1. prankin2011

prankin2011 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Has anyone built their coop in an existing barn? I'm having trouble getting ideas. They will have their own little "room" one wall will be all chicken wire. Is this okay? It's to separate them from the wrest of the barn. I'll post pictures tonight. Just wanting to see if anyone has coops that are inside an existing structure and only makeup part of the building? All I see are old sheds turned into a big coop. Thank you!!

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Search: coop in barn stall ... think you will have better luck with that. I have read several threads of people doing that.

Also, [​IMG] Nice to have you join us.

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. fatmat

fatmat New Egg

Apr 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my coop is in a barn and it works great, it takes up about 1/3 of the structure. the left side is the chicken coop, and i have goats on the right. I have a block wall divider about 7 blocks in which makes the coop about 7' x 12' i think. With this setup I've yet to have any poop in my nest boxes or on their eggs, its worth noting i didnt install the nest boxes until after they established their perching habits, and my nest boxes are just an old shoe box so the boxes are a little small. My water tank dribbles constantly and drains into the pond since my coop isn't heated and no electricity out there yet. A small cutout lets them free range which they do all day even though they have access to food 24/7, but thats the personality of an orpington from what i read. As you can see i used mostly recycled materials for everything.
    Any questions feel free to ask.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, mine's in a large shed...see My Coop page....I love it.
    It's great for undercover gathering of eggs and storage of chicken supplies...and other things.
    BUT.....Don't store anything in there that you don't want absolutely covered in dust.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by