Coop inside shed

farmercharlie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Central Illinois
I’ve wanted chickens for years, but could not afford to build a coop. I have a good sized finished shed that I could use a corner of that shed to house chickens. I’m thinking of building two walls and including an access door. I have several questions: 1. Will chickens peck at painted drywall? 2. What materials would be better than drywall for the new walls? 3. Could the birds get at the suspended ceiling (nine foot height)? 4. What size? I want to start with a dozen chickens and maybe increase the flock as time goes by. 5. What size outside pen would I need? And lastly: What size doorway for the chickens to enter/exit? Sorry for the amount of questions but I grew up on a farm and barely remember having chickens (mostly the pecking while gathering eggs as a small boy).

Thanks in advance for the newby.

Charlie

Just use your best judgment, and you will be fine. I wouldn't use drywall though, use OSB instead, and the bigger the run the better. Good luck!

check out my page..click on the link..we used a shed

1. Yes
2. plywood, but they still peck it and I have to repair, they seem very adept at finding the nails and pecking around them
3. mine can
4. 4sqft per bird at least
5. 10 sqft per bird if no freerange time, at least
6. my doors are 12x12

Good Luck, what fun, I'm jealous!

Drywall will soak up moisture and poop will stick to it unless you paint it with some high gloss nonstick type paint or something. Not the best surface for a chicken coop, in general. Unless you have roosts that high, they can't get at the ceiling, I don't think, especially with standard breeds. An 8x8 or slightly larger would do fine for a dozen birds. That's how I started. THEN added 12' and lots more birds, LOL.
The door works well if it's 12" wide and tall.

Another question: I've looked at several pages of the forum and it looks like concrete flooring is a no no. What would be a good material to put on top of the concrete? Sawdust, leaves, straw?

Thanks,

Charlie
Central Illinois

Back
Top Bottom