Coop Inspection

jjsw

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
So after looking at teeny tiny, cheaply made, VERY expensive prefab chicken coops we decided to try and salvage an old shed on our property that was in it's last leg of life. I think we're off to a good start but there are still a few things I would like to do before I call it "done". Because chickens live in it getting the safety parts and getting ventilation done first were the priorities . Once that's settled I'll clean it up, trim it out and give it a fresh coat of paint.

I've read a lot about chicken coops but they all seem to be different. I'd like to share pictures of the inside and outside and have you guys give me suggestions about placement of things on the interior as well as any adjustments it extra ventilation needed . Now we are going to add three vents (one on back and two on the front under the peaks) hopefully tomorrow if it will stop raining! Also the front doors need to be replaced.
But other than that I feel like we're mostly done with this types of things.

Also, I have 4 pullets and they all snuggle up on the floor in the corner across from the roost.

Go with suggestions!
IMG_20180306_121937.jpg
IMG_20180306_121940.jpg
IMG_20180306_174228.jpg
IMG_20180306_174237.jpg
IMG_20180306_174244.jpg
IMG_20180306_174259.jpg
IMG_20180306_174306.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_174211.jpg
    IMG_20180306_174211.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes, the ladder is supposed to be the roost but they've used it once or twice. They like snuggling on the ground and I'm wondering if that's normal. I had the nesting boxes on the floor at first but then put them on the table after I read something about floor space. Should I create another roost above the nesting boxes? Won't they poo on top of them? Under the roost I currently have I have a rubber mat protecting the floor. My girls are pretty clean and I just use a stall fork to pick out the yuck and carry out every day.

For just 4 pullets you have a lot of space. You only need 1 nest box for 4 girls. Put it on the floor. Are they laying yet? Yea they poop all night and there will be a pile under each one. A 24" or bigger poop board with sides and with some Sweet PDZ will make cleanup fast and easy.

JT

Last edited:
cement the bottom apron wire looks like you have a good to go
like the hardware cloth on the windows
I was going to bury it. Would that be sufficient?
You need to go out farther with your apron at least 12", 18-24 would be better.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Do you have a picture?
I do!
My setup would fit well in your building...well, I don't know if you'd want to use poop boards, but think about it.

Off to a great start!
A you say you plan to work on the doors, perhaps consider designing them so they can allow for additional ventilation sand light during good weather while still maintaining security. ... ether with screened panels or a "screen door" in addition to the solid doors

Last edited:
Yes! I live in Georgia so they will need a lot of ventilation during the summer. We plan on building a screened wall and door about 2-3 feet into the coop to provide room for storage and so that we can keep the heavy wooden doors open in the summer. ☺️

The nest box should be lower than the roost. Is that ladder supposed to be the roost?

I'd put the nest box on the floor for now and run a 2x4 across from wall to wall a bit higher than the nest box. Make sure it is at least 12" from the back wall you don't want chickens smacking into the back wall when they fly up to the roost.

JT

No
For just 4 pullets you have a lot of space. You only need 1 nest box for 4 girls. Put it on the floor. Are they laying yet? Yea the poop all night and there will be a pile under each one. A 24" or bigger poop board with sides and with some Sweet PDZ will make cleanup fast and easy.

JT
No they aren't laying yet. Two of them are looking closer though.

Back
Top Bottom