Coop Insulating. What is best?

marshallbrown

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Peterborough, NH
We live up in NH and the winters can get pretty harsh. I was told to insulate the coop when we build it but, what is best for insulating? I was just going to put in regular fiberglass insulation covering the walls in a 1/4" plywood. Is there a better idea? I assume I should use a heat lamp in there during the winter or do I need to?

Fiberglass batts covered by 1/4 plywood is fine. Or rigid insulation board instead of batts; but that's more expensive and not necessarily worthwhile for you.

Make sure the carpentry is REALLY TIGHT with no leetle gaps, or you will be ranching up mice in the walls.

As to whether to run a lamp, <shrug>, well-chosen breeds in a well-managed coop, you won't usually have to in that sort of climate; but it is never a bad idea IMHO to have electricity *available* in case of unexpected circumstances (e.g. sick birds, or your breeds turn out to be less well chosen than you thought, or you are going crazy lying awake all night every night thinking of your poor wee birds in a 0 F coop even if *they* don't care that much
tongue.png
)

Basically you just have to figure out what works best for you, which is going to involve some trial and error.

Do remember to have good winter-worthy ventilation EVEN THOUGH you are insulating; if you insulate and shut it up tight, you create a humidity chamber which often *causes* frostbite rather than avoiding it!

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Hey Pat, thanks for that advice!! Its very helpful. What do you have for flooring in your coop. I was planning on putting down a scrap on vinyl floor. Figured it would be easy to clean and help seal up any draft from the plywood floor.
Randy

My chickens are in a slab-floored building, but about half the pens are up on OSB or plywood with vinyl on it (not done by me); others are on OSB on concrete, or just on concrete with lotsa bedding. All three methods work about equally well IMHO, I really do not subscribe to the "linoleum cult" around here LOL not that there is anything too much wrong with it (except for the potential for trapping dampness behind it, and the expense/labor) but to me just a good paint job on yer plywood is just as good. Mind, this is with a considerable amount of bedding on it. If I were going to try to skinch on bedding and knew there would often be bare spots on the floor, vinyl *might possibly* have an advantage.

Drafts don't go thru plywood, though ; if you have gaps at seams, caulk and cover them.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

i would also like to know this, i lost 6 last winter. i was thinking of putting the board insulation and plywood. cant wait to see what others think

Quote:
I took Fred's advice and went to the link for the thread he was talking about. It was helpful and informative. Give it a look second from the top of this page!!

Back
Top Bottom