Coop insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dana0710, Oct 29, 2016.

1. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I have stupid insulation question. :)

We are in Texas. We are building a new open air coop with a metal roof. I'm concerned about insulating the roof from the hot Texas sun. What would be the cheapest way to accomplish this? Could I use old feed bags stuffed with hay for roof insulation? Are their drawbacks to this?

Who can give me some great ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Paint the top of steel roof panels white and I think you will have good results. The roof panels should not affect the open air coop much then.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    How tall is the coop? Are you concerned the metal roof will make it too hot inside the coop or are you worried the chickens will touch the roof and get burned?
    "Cool Seal" (sp) is used on the roof of mobile homes to keep the metal from getting too hot in the sun.

4. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I'm not worried about them touching it. Just wanted to do what I could to keep it less like an oven. They will be out in a field with no trees for shade, only yet metal. The roof is approx 8-10 ft tall, depending on where you stand. Everything out here is hill or a slope. ;-)

5. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    Oh, and I have two 15x20 buildings, if that matters.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Insulation would help for sure....foam sheets maybe?
    Painting white to reflect sun might help too.

7. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I hadn't thought of painting it. So that an easy and cheap way to cool things down. Thank you!

8. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    With an open air coop design, the metal roof won't cause an oven effect. The temp inside the coop won't be any higher than the ambient air temp. It will feel cooler under the roof than it would out in the field. Especially with the roof being tall, it will act as a shade from the sun. At least it has for me. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Two benefits from insulation on a metal roof. One is the heat deflection issue, the other is to limit condensation, which forms on the INSIDE of a metal roof, and especially so if the building houses livestock.

If I had to suggest a method to use, I start with polyisocyanurate.......and yes I had to look up how to spell it. It would go between the purlins and the roofing itself. I'd put the shiny foil side facing the metal roof and bright white side on the interior. As long as the birds can't get near it, they should not be able to peck at it as they tend to do with most other forms of insulation.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermash...-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-787264/100549260

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by