coop insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lucy7, Oct 7, 2012.

1. lucy7

lucy7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    hi I'm insulating my coop for winter we have quite a bit of pink insulation we are planning to use but I want to cover it up with something so my chickens can't peck at it any ideas?[​IMG]

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    We insulated ours primarily because of the high summer temps. We sort of sandwiched it...used 1/4" ply for the walls, then a layer of the foam, then another layer of the ply. That way they can't get at the insulation at all.

3. lucy7

lucy7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    thank you very much. I had not thought of that we thought about bathboard so we can spray it down we better get busy on it though we have already got the first snow it did not stay though

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    That would work too. Basically anything that will provide a barrier would work. The whole inside of our coop is plywood...never thought about washing anything down other than the floor..so it's painted but the rest is just raw wood.

Don't worry too much about the cold for the chickens...as long as it's well ventilated but not drafty, they'll be pretty toasty down to all but the coldest of a Northern Minnesota winter...and being from Winnipeg, I've a good idea of what winter really is, LOL. They generate a surprising amount of heat and feathers are excellent insulation. Ours are very cold hardy so we were more concerned with the 100+ temps we often get in the summer...that's really hard on them, but we've found the inside of the coop to be a good 10 or 15 degrees cooler than the outside, which is a huge advantage for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by