Coop Interior Design Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScorpChix, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ScorpChix

ScorpChix Hatching

Jun 29, 2010
    The Other Vancouver (WA)
    Hello all -- I am a chicken newbie and need your advice ...

We recently decided to get some chickens. My plan is to get about 10 meat chicks (cornish rocks), 5 older layers (8 mos+), and 2 turkeys (6 wks old). My DH built me a fine 10 x 12 coop this past
    weekend and now I need to lay out the interior and run. Hence my questions --

I am guessing that I should divide up the coop so that the chicks can be by themselves (without going outside) for a few weeks. How big of an area do I
    need for 10 chicks? And many weeks do I keep them in there?

Any ideas on how do divide my 10 x 12 coop up? Should I make it into 2 interior rooms with 2 separate outdoor runs?

Or once the chicks are old enough to go outside, can the layers/turkey/ meat birds co-exist? Will they all have the same food requirements?

Any and all tips/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Donna

Sorry --I posted this earlier to a different index.

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd keep the meaties in their own TRACTOR, personally. They eat and poo. That's it, really. Can't help with the turkeys, but maybe divide the coop into 3 4x8 sections, and then in the front/side 2' have storage and walkway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: