Coop interior redesign help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the ladies mom, Mar 10, 2015.

1. the ladies mom

the ladies mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Arkansas
    I am doubling the size of my free range flock. I need to redo the roosting poles and need some help. I currently have a ladder type set up but want to go to a 2 or 3 pole (2 X 4's) set up. For 20 hens how long do they need to be and how high off the ground? Currently they have 4 ladder rungs and are as high as 4 feet from ground of coop floor. I am planning on putting in a poop hammock so the area under the roost rungs can be kept clean. These are a variety of standard sized birds.

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Pics would help! I have 11 hens on a 8 foot 2x4 I had to run 2 more 2 foot long 2x4's off it because they all want to be on the very top. I found as they grew there was enough room with just the one board. A couple of them were roosting on the poo boards. So that is 11 hens on 12' feet long. Now there is room for everyone. Good luck with integrating your new birds with your old flock. Been there done that never want to do it again! I would rather build a new coop than try to mix a flock together again. Love my poo boards! With sweet PDZ on them! [​IMG]
    I hope I helped. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I've read, each chicken needs to have 12" of roost space. The roost needs to be higher than the nests to keep them from roosting in the nests. It depends on high tall your coop is.

I have 15 hens. I have my 2 roosts over the coop brooder. They are both 10' long. Plenty of room for them to roost. They all roost on one of the roosts during the cold weather and spread out in the summer.

[​IMG]

4. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Oh yeah I forgot about having enough room for them to stay cool. I might have to re think my roost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by