1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Interiors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laxrick, Nov 30, 2008.

1. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    I'm finishing off an old shed to use as a chicken coop while my silkies are growing every day in the brooder.

I'd like to see some pictures of the interiors of some of your coops. It's easy to find lots of exterior pictures, but I'd like to get some new ideas for the interior. Maybe some space saving tips on where to put nesting boxes, heaters, feeders, waterers, etc.

Any pictures for motivation are welcome!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope you like them.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    This was taken during construction. I have my nestboxes inside my coop so that they divide the chicken area from a walk in people area. I keep feed and supplies on the people side. I did this for several reasons:

1) I don't have to walk into the chicken side and get my feet poopy when collecting eggs.
    2) If it's raining or snowing (like today in our blizzard) I can be inside collecting eggs where it's nice and cozy.
    3) My children often help collect eggs and have, on occasion, left the back nest box doors open so the chickens could get through them. Having it the way I did all that happens is the chicken is safe on the people side and still inside the coop. If the nest boxes opened to the outside the chickens would be running around outside and a predator could get inside the coop through the open nest box door.

Just an idea:

[​IMG]

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG]

This one is 10X14, there is one beside it the same size but not laid out as well as we are going to remake that one. They are old horse stalls. There is a line of nest boxes along the wall that you can see the end to your right with the red board. It houses about 40-45 birds at night, depending on whom wants to sleep there. They free range so they can go into 3 different coops at night at their own preference, as long as there isn't too many. But the roos usually decide who can sleep in their designated coop.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My tip is to make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes. Otherwise, you can end up with them roosting and pooping in the nest boxes.

7. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    Awesome ideas! My shed is basically a blank slate right now, and I'm definitely implementing some of these ideas (especially that PVC pipe feeder!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by