Coop is about 80% done.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hegatha, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Finally was able to work on the coop again since the weather was nice today. All we got left is the walls and doors which are already made just got to put up!!! Hoping to finish it Thursday on my day off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Good start.... are you putting the preditor proof wire along the bottom next?

3. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I put a bunch of Chicken wire under the ground about a foot deep. The only real thing around here I have to worry about are skunks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    How far off the gound do you put the perches?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    chicken wire wont stop a digging dog or a raccoon. My mini doxie will dig right through chicken wire and keep on going. You have pine trees near you in the photo. I bet you have more than skunks. Better to b over protcted, than to have to fix fencing and replace hens.

6. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    No Raccons here and my whole yard is fenced. Im also putting brick on the outside. Those pine trees were bought and put in.

7. perchie.girl

Quote:Depends on the breeds. Heavy birds arent good fliers light birds are. I put my nest boxes at about two feet up and then the perches above that height.

8. perchie.girl

Quote:If you have skunks you will have other predators trees or no. The thing is the chickens and their feed attract them. For added protection I would put a nice welded wire on the other side of your chicken fence.... Your chicken wire is on the inside of the posts just put the welded wire on the outside. Can be garden fence just something that a dog cant chew through. You will need a top too.

9. theghostandmrchicken

theghostandmrchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Looks Good! [​IMG]

10. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Im adding a top but I dont think I will have other dogs in the yard bc my whole yard is fenced and never had other dogs come in. Plus I have a dog that is very protective of the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by