1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop is almost finished but I just wanted some advice about the roofin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ab333, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ab333

ab333 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Amherst
    What could we use that will not cost an arm and a leg? Are there any places that sell roof shingles individually?

2. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Go to lowes or home depot and see if they have any busted bundles of shingles because they sell those fairly cheap just to get rid of them

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Well, I have a pack and a half of shingles at y house....the pack is brand new...[​IMG] But on a serious note.....if you have aHabitat for Humanity/HabitatReStore nearby check there. They sell inexpensive new and used building material. Check CraigsList, FreeCycle, local paper. If that is not an option, check local HomeDepot, Lowe's etc for returned, opened/damaged shingles. If you don't want to use shingles, Tinroof or corrugated PVC is another option. I don't know about the price of tin but I bought corrugated PVC for (I think...) approx $17 a sheet 4x8

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Where do you live? I have 25 sheets of 20 foot long corragated tin in my back yard. I got it for $2. a sheet !

5. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Well our Home Depot sells shingles by the each. bought some for a really small roof last week. only bought 6. I think they are .72 each.

Connie

6. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I used rolled roofing on mine. Don't remember what a roll cost , but it's a cheap way to cover.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Kathy - where in the heck did you score tin for $2 a sheet? Sheesh, I've been searching ALL DAY for the stuff....

8. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    habitat restore, is the most awesome place in the world.

9. colt1567

colt1567 New Egg

Sep 23, 2009
    Quote:i like tin roof and pvc for roofing or even use the pvc for sides because i think it transfers heat through the roof a little better because it heats it but in the summer it stays cool. also, the pvc lets light through if you need it to. i made a couple skylights on my pen woth tan pvc

10. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!
    when we built our coop we were there constantly!
    all the paint and stain came from there and so many other things.
    they didn't have shingles when we were looking... [​IMG]

Connie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by