Coop is done "La Casita de Las Galinas"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kit, May 8, 2011.

1. Kit

Kit Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    upstate SC
    Just had to share pics of my new coop and run - I based the design pretty directly from one in the coop design section - it is 8 x 12 ft, with windows on all sides to allow for good ventilation - we're in upstate SC - we built the coop under a big oak tree for lots of shade in the summer, but it will get sun in the winter. The floor is vinyl flooring over plywood. I plan on using the deep litter method, so I nailed boards around the floor to hold in the shavings, plus I nailed a 2 x 6 to separate the roosting area from the rest of the coop - I had read about droppings pits and poop boards - the idea of scraping a poop board was distasteful, so I figured the area under the roosts would be a great place for deep litter. So far it's working great - no smell - they sure do poop a lot!!. I lined the roost area with the white-coated board from Lowes for cheapo bath enclosures - figured it would be easier to keep clean. I have since added a third roost - even with the windows, since everyone was roosting in the window sills. I do wish I had painted all the bare wood before letting the girls out - it would have been cleaner. The entire run is enclosed and covered, with an apron of fencing buried out from the fence, and a line of electric wire around the lower part - hopefully varmints will be kept out. And last, but hardly least, my grandson Jake trying out the door the day we cut it, to let the girls out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Looks fabulous! Very nicely done.

I'm in Hollywood, south of Charleston.

3. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Beautiful - love the cheerful colors you used on the outside!

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:X2 ... they just say "come on in and visit"

5. Txbufforpington

Txbufforpington Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Great job looks great. Did you mean to do a single L on Gallinas?

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Looks like a Happy coop.

7. Kit

Kit Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    upstate SC
    Thanks - the colors were my bit of silliness in my back yard, as was the name - some of my chickens have hispanic names as well - Juanita, Margarita, and Blanca - I'm pretty sure 'galinas' is spelled with one L - 'gallo' is a rooster (5 years of Spanish in middle and high school)

8. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Exactly where in Upstae are you??....I live in Taylors/Greer area of Greenville County.

9. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    That's an awesome coop!! Well done!

10. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I'm in extreme south NC...Wilmington. I love your setup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by