Coop is dry, but it SMELLS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 26, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i was stupid and decided to hose down my coop. now there is bleach in the run and a flooded coop. Its dry now. but it smells AWEFUL!!!! How do i fix it? will frabreze hurt them?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh darn, I would suggest letting them free range but, not at this hour. Will they stay up on the roost - maybe by morning it won't be so bad.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort &amp; Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    The chooks should be on the roost by now right? Won't it dry by morning?

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    they aren't out there yet XD they are chicks lol... but im worried because... its wood.. will it rot? we poked holes in the floor so it will drain better... we were hosing it down so that we could paint but then we found out it was lopsided [​IMG]

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    I discovered my coop did not drain as expected. Cement pad had settled so the water pooled.
    I had to use a shop vac to get the water out.
    good luck

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

they aren't out there yet XD they are chicks lol... but im worried because... its wood.. will it rot? we poked holes in the floor so it will drain better... we were hosing it down so that we could paint but then we found out it was lopsided [​IMG]

I don't know where you live, but around here, the heat would have it dried up pretty quickly.

You can use a broom or something similar to get the bulk of the water routed toward those holes to get it dried out. I wouldn't panic too much. [​IMG] A day or two in the sun does wonders!​

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    its not sunny today [​IMG] and we tried it the holes are tiny! tomorrow its suppose to rain [​IMG] all in the 60's this week.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Do you have a wet/dry shop vac? How about some dri-z-air dehumidifiers?

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort &amp; Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Old towels? Sop up the water and throw 'em in the laundry afterwards. Shop vac would be first choice though.

10. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    shop vac?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by