Coop is finally here!

Chick-InnKeeper

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Western NY
My husband brought our coop home today and got it put in place! Made by a local Amish builder. Now to finish it...roosts, flooring (vinyl?), ventilation, paint. Not to mention the run...it will have a roof and planning on using hardware cloth to enclose it. So much to do! Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations would be much appreciated!
8CE7C05D-6AA3-4C10-86ED-FA27B40BCA92.jpeg
83E35E45-5C7A-4A9A-93B6-8E449869B58F.jpeg

Looks like a pretty solid unit, but yes it does need more ventilation if that window is it.

Most logical spot for roosts would be directly across from the nests, sitting slightly higher than the nests themselves. Possibly with another short length across the back to make an L shape if more room is needed. Not sure how many chickens you're planning on but calculate roughly 12" per bird on roost for standard birds.

There are 2 windows. Another on opposite wall. I think we will put some vents near the peak also. We have 12 chicks right now (about 4 weeks old), supposed to be all pullets, but I’m suspecting a few might be Roos. So may be down to 9 or 10. Coop is 6x8 with 15x 6 run. We live in the northeast US so pretty long cold winters here. I was thinking about wrapping the roosts around to make a L-shape. What is the best litter method for colder climates? I will keep it cleaned out well during warmer months, but curious about what is best for winter? Planning on poop boards under roosts also. And should food and water be in the run and keep it out of the coop? Sorry so many questions, I find it hard to sort through all the threads and want to do the best for our new flock! Thank you all for all of the advice! Very much appreciated!

Are you planning on free ranging at all? Your coop is sufficient for 12 provided that they don't choose to stay inside most of the winter. Your run is big enough for 9, maximum.

Back to the roosts, L shape should work (measure to make sure) but you might get some poop on the box close to the end. You have way more nests than you need so might want to simply close that box off entirely.

Food and water need to go where it makes sense for your set up - there's no right answer. Things to consider: water = moisture, so that can be problematic inside a coop. At the same time, access to water is important so if you can't let the chickens out at a reasonable time in the morning, then they'll need access to it inside. Food needs to be protected from elements and pests. At the same time, having it inside *could* possible attract pests into the coop.

Curtains are actually to create privacy to encourage hens to use them. If you need to keep the chicks out, cover the boxes with cardboard or plywood scrap.

Can you open up this soffit area? Best place for ventilation, especially in winter.
1588539827924.png

And should food and water be in the run and keep it out of the coop?
I keep mine inside coop, with power for water heater.

What is the best litter method for colder climates? I will keep it cleaned out well during warmer months, but curious about what is best for winter? Planning on poop boards under roosts also.
What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

We live in the northeast US
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1588539922583.png

Thank you, I think I will also do the same method with the poop boards and wood shavings. That’s my initial thought anyway. I will see if my husband can open up the soffits for ventilation, that makes sense.
I think we will wrap the run in thick plastic during winter months, so will try and keep food and water outside and see what happens? I’m up at 4:30am so it’s not a matter of sleeping in.
Im also thinking of whitewashing inside of coop yearly for sanitary reasons, and increase natural light. Does anyone have experience with that?

I think we will wrap the run in thick plastic during winter months, so will try and keep food and water outside and see what happens? I’m up at 4:30am so it’s not a matter of sleeping in.
Keeping the water thawed is the issue.
Either get power to it or change it out multiple times a day.

Im also thinking of whitewashing inside of coop yearly for sanitary reasons, and increase natural light. Does anyone have experience with that?
Will help brighten by reflecting light, not sure about 'sanitation'.
Don't know how, but.....might find an answer browsing these threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/1042557/?q=whitewash&t=post&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Back
Top Bottom