Coop is Finished !!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheChickenProject, Jul 23, 2010.

1. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    The coop is finally finished and the chickens home!! I only wanted three birds but ended up with five. One Frizzle, one maren, one polish and two EE's.

I decided to finish above the door and under the run with hardware cloth. I wanted the extra measure of protection.

I added the link to my page with a better description of the project.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58078

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Great Job!!..Looks great. How long did it take you and how much did cost you for the entire project? I am planning to build a coop similar to yours.

3. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Oh it is so beautiful!

Hmmmmm, never thought I would be saying THAT about chicken coops! I have lost my mind!

4. Sledrock

Sledrock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Very nice coop and good job! Looks Great!

Thanks for taking lots of pictures and explaining your contruction as you went!

5. TheChickenProject

May 20, 2010
    Quote:I finished the project around $275.00. But remember, that is with donated material from friends and scrap / cut lumber from the hardware store. It took alot of planning to build with four foot boards rather than buying a 8 foot piece. (The scrap cuts were all 4 foot). The hardware cloth was the most expensive. I have about 100.00 worth of it. I can't tell you how many times I miss cut a board. (Measure twice, cut once.)

I didn't factor in the new saw blade since I dulled my old one ripping the treated lumber. I also purchased a staple gun from Harbor Freight that is not reflected in the cost. Extra section of fence and some full length boards added to the final total.

Now the extras start. I want to purchase lighting for inside the coop and a wireless camera to monitor from inside. I'll have to run electric to the coop for this which will add to the cost.

6. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    Congratulations on mastering the art of chicken math. :)

The coop looks great. I like it!

7. Gypsea

Gypsea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Elk Point
    Great job on this. And a low price to boot!

I like the PVC feeder thing-a-ma-bob. Clever.

Cheers,

Gypsea

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Wonderful coop! I especially like the door.[​IMG]

9. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Looks great! I like the feeder too!

10. TheChickenProject

May 20, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the comments on the coop.
    I just installed a security camera in the coop to watch them in the evening. It's interesting to see them nudge each other for the best spot on the perch. I assume the dominant one gets her spot but so far, they are still working out who is top bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by