Coop is flooded, no roofs, Chickens are almost swimming in water...

OrganicEggs75

Mottled Rosecomb Heaven
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Is there any possible way I can fix this It is really deep with water... Very muddy to. Chickens have no shelter. How can I make them one??? There is no roof is there anyway I can make one? I tried tarps but they don't work. It is pouring rain nonstop and there is 70mi/h winds.. Any help is appreciated
smile.png

Do you have a garage that they could stay in until it quits raining? Dog crates, large boxes (walmart has those large shipping boxes for less than $2, you could put some shavings in them and bring them in for the night.

I'm so sorry you and your chickens experiencing this. How many chickens do you have ? Can they stay in the garage or basement until you buy or build them a coop or a shed ? The fastest shelter would be buying one. Have you checked your craigslist, sometimes they have great bargain for coops, sheds and even playhouses. Good luck and hope you'll find a solution as soon as possible.

I am feeling your pain. 2 nights ago the roof came off my coop as well. I had an early morning freak out since when I first went out I saw no roof and no chickens. Luckily they all stuffed themselves into the nesting boxes which was quite funny looking. We have a very getto looking coop right now with odd pieces of wood with a tarp sandwiched between layers that are weighted with cement blocks and I am hoping this storm ends soon.

Quote:
I have 11 chickens. It is supposed to keep raining like this until Sunday. And 2 of them are getting sick... I can't put them in the garage cause it is flooding. I might be able to put them in crates and have them in the house at night... I mean they are shivering cause it is so cold and wet out... Would I be able to put 2 or 3 in a dog crate (normal sized) With them being somewhat comfy?

I am so sorry you are going through this. Yes put them in the crates at night Watch the two that are getting sick. Last fall I had 2 get caught outside in a cold downpour....a vet trip later, I was treating them with Tylan 50 for phneumonia. If they start sounding raspy, gurgly or wheezy with eye or nostil discharge, be ready with the Tylan 50...you can give it injection or orally. PM me if you need dosage amount
smile.png

I would go get them now but it is SUPER dark out and very late. I feel so bad the weather is getting even worse... I just want to go out there and get them right now... Not sure If i'm allowed to bing in the house but I may just put them in crates and put in the goat houses...

Quote:
they'll be fine, anything is better then cold and wet. I feel your pain. We made 10x16 roof over their run, after 3ft of snow, the roof was still standing. However, after the snow, the wind took the roof with it and it landed 40-50 ft away from the run. Then it snowed and rained more after that. They had more water, mud, snow and ice then they would of liked.
In your situation, crates will work fine. I don't know what is up with the weather but here in East coast, it's been raining a lot too, oh yeah more snow in spring ! Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom