Coop is getting expensive

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by raftnfish, May 18, 2011.

1. raftnfish

raftnfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Hi,

We are in the process of building a coop to house ~ 48 hens. A little too ambitious for first timers, I fear. The coop building is going well....though we are nearing our funds limit. Next we are putting in the runs: 1) 16' X 40' covered for unsupervised , 2) 28' X 40' uncovered for while we are around, 3) 16 ' X 40' for our 10 turkeys. Last night we trenched the full perimeter 2' deep to bury hardware cloth. We plan on putting 48" around the perimeter half buried...leaving 2' above ground. The top walls will be 14G 2X4 welded wire 6' tall. The total height of the walls will be 8'. The covering of the 1st run will be X-Treme deer barrier (8' X 100' rolls) supported with 2X4 rafters. Well, this is enough for now...more to come!

Hey, question for you. Anyone know the best place (least expensive) to purchase 1/2" hardware cloth 48" wide. We are going to need ~ 175' of it.

Also, if you have any suggestions prior to putting the runs in...please shout out. Cost savings tips are always welcomed:)

Oh, and how do I add pictures?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Sounds like a great plan!

I can't help you with the wire, but you need so many posts to be able to post pics. I think it is 10.

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG]
    I am in a similar situation. I will be using recycled wood for my coop/run but the main cost for the whole thing is the hardware cloth. I havent been able to find an affordable price for a large amount of it, but check your local tractor supply store. Also, you should look in your local craigslist adds as well as your local FreeCycle group !

4. shawnj72

shawnj72 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Upper Michigan
    Great coop.. Now that is big.. Guess i need an addition if i want any more chicks..:)

5. amylou22

amylou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    That is a beautiful coop!

Lowe's is offering 5% off purchases when you use your Lowe's credit card. They do run specials on occasion ($10 off $40 purchase)

I feel you. My coop costs twice what I planned. And we are still not done.

6. raftnfish

raftnfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the posts.

Yeah, we (I) am getting out of hand:D My girlfriend said why don't we get 6 or 7 chickens...so, I got 67. Not a joke [​IMG]

So, the coop is 12 x 16 with 15 nesting boxes, 64sqft of roosting area. Not sure how many chickens it will hold?! Might have to change my diet to just chicken [​IMG]

7. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    wow you are really burying that wire, good job

for even more security later on, you could add gravel at the base of the fences to further discourage any digging

great looking henhouse, i love the barn-red-and-white

8. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hardware cloth was our biggest expense, I think our locally owned hardware store was cheaper than Home Depot. We are total scrappers, dumpster divers, recyclers - we couldn't find a way around buying it. Sorry [​IMG] The cost of those eggs does start to add up! I think your best bet will be watching for a coupon or deal like someone else suggested.

9. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    that is one pretty chicken house !!

10. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Very nice job on your chicken house. Mine is coming along. just finished the roof.I't has been way more expensive than i though it would be. I'll post pics soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by