1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from the shores of Lake Superior where..............

the winds are 40mph gusting to 50..........snow rate of 2" per hour............white out blizzard conditions...........16" expected..........wind chills tonite in the low -40's................

meanwhile in our new coop............not one flake of snow or ice and no drafts! Tight![​IMG]

Always something to be grateful for. Now if the power will stay on just long enough for my bread to bake in the oven we'll be happy!

I'm going on my snowshoe walk now..........[​IMG]

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im one of those strange people who loves a good snow storm. As long as the power stays on and I dont have to shovel the driveway.

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Sounds like a toasty shelter for the birds. When the wind dies down and the sun comes out, make sure to ventilate it well if it isn't already.

I haven't mastered the concept of maximum ventilation with no drafts yet. Haven't really seen any practical instructions on how to manage this, only lots and lots of warnings that say I must.

Wayne

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i have 2 sections under the roof eves open on each side. They are about 4x10. I did find this winter the air was rushing in in the wind so I nailed 2 boards up across the bottom about half way so the wind getting in would be less and go up not down. Seems to be working well even in single digits and its nice and dry.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't send it east, okay? But I'm glad the coop is functioning the way you hopes. That ventilation vs. drafts thing is a tricky business. We got it right too (knock on wood). Just checked local forecast, snow on Wednesday- Don't you *dare*![​IMG]

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    I'm glad it's working well for you![​IMG] I used the last two snow storms to see where I had to do more caulking.

Got lucky with ventilation and everyone is cozy.

Just came in from a 1 hour walk. Temp is 4F wind chill is -10F. If you don't enjoy a good snow storm it makes for a long winter.

Hope the bread turns out:yiipchick Stay Warm:)

7. Superior Chicks

Yes, fortunately for me, I love a good snowstorm-----and a blizzard is even better![​IMG]

Bread got done just yummy fine, went good with the homemade spagettii sauce cooked in the crock all day.

I have to say, now that we are retired we can enjoy being snowed in. When you're working there's a constant worry about weather and road conditions. We paid are dues plenty, and now are enjoying a raging nature at her best. We are fortunate indeed, and we are very, very grateful.

I only worry about the girls now. I'm out there all the time. I just love being with them. And of course, they love spagettii![​IMG]

Cheers,
    Ma

8. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Yes, I was just thinking as I removed my flipflops after getting in from closing up the chickens for the night and turned up the AC that I have not seen a good snow storm for awhile. A couple hurricanes but, no snow storms. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Clear 71 degrees

9. Superior Chicks

HA!

We traded in our flip-flops for snowshoes! We lived in the Tampa Bay area for four years----------and hated it so much we came back to the frozen North. We tried to retire there, but we just couldn't handle it.

Go figure, huh? Good thing there is a place for everybody to live acording to your hearts desires!

Enjoy your 71 degrees harvey, and please no offense, I'll take my 40 below any old day![​IMG]

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Now, there is a 'happy medium' here--it's called NC!!!!!! I have yet to figure out how people survive -10degrees and who wants 80* at Christmas...We have our Spring, cool, crisp and lots of blooms. We have our Summer --hot, humid, bugs, wonderful long growing season, boating and sunning at the beach/lake and baseball.We have Autumn--beautiful colors, cool, crisp football weather..And we have winter---cold (30's several days in a row) we have ice and snow a few times a yr. but since we don't have but one salt truck, a few scrapers and NO ONE knows how to drive EVERYTHING shuts down and we get to stay at home!!!!!!!!!!!! And if we are lucky once a yr we get to have a snowman.. he's usually gone in two days....NOW That's life...Dixie LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by