Coop Issue

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tw8man, May 26, 2016.

1. tw8man

tw8man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Okay, so I have three silkies (2 hens/1 roo) and three laying hens. I want to put them all together in the same coop but will the silkie roo fertilize the laying hen's eggs? Also, how many out of the silkie's eggs willbe fertilized (an estimate)?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    1 roo can easily keep all 5 hens fertilized. He'll likely mate all of your hens...

3. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

He may not mate with your laying hens if they are a more aggressive breed and they don't accept him! Also be a bit careful when mixing docile breeds with aggressive breeds, like silkies and Rhode Island Reds or hybrids...

In theory however, a roo can easily make sure all eggs from 5 hens are fertile!

4. tw8man

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma

So, will I be getting any eggs? Do I need to keep him separate from my hens until I want the eggs to be fertilized?

5. Hrairoo

You should get eggs no matter what, unless they are ill or stressed. Keep the roo with them, you'l just get fertile eggs no matter what if they mate! I just know that my gals tend to mainly let roos mate with them when the rooster overpowers them....

6. tw8man

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Okay! So, do you know, on average, how many times the eggs are fertile?

7. Hrairoo

I think it's about 95% if your roo is doing a good job, but I think 8% (or more) usually wont hatch.

8. tw8man

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Well, I am wanting to get fertilized eggs from my silkies, but get eggs for eating from my laying hens. And I really don't want to have to get a whole new coop. I would be fine with separating the roo because I wouldn't need a big coop, but I want to do what is easiest and best.

9. Hrairoo

You can eat fertilized eggs!!!! Just don't let the hens sit on the eggs if you want to eat them

10. tw8man

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Really? I didn't know that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by