Coop Kits--any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by steiggy, Oct 6, 2013.

1. steiggy

steiggy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi all,

I have been looking for a coop for ages. I had hoped I would be able to find someone to build one for me, but no luck there. And as for me, I wouldn't know the first thing about constructing anything...even a bird house! So I was wondering if anyone has bought a 'coop kit' from places like Amazon or My Pet Chicken. I am hoping to get 2 light bramhas and 2 blue Orpingtons, and need something that will accommodate their size. Any suggestions would be great!

2. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Hi Steiggy and welcome to BYC!

I started with a coop kit from Fleet Farm, but as we get closer to winter I became too concerned about ventilation, size and security. I've seen pictures here of people who have incorporated kits well into secure runs, so I'd say that if you do go with a kit, you may need to modify things anyway.

If you find one you like, you could post it here too to see if anyone else has feedback specific to that coop.

3. steiggy

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! I was thinking that if I decide to go with a coop kit I would need to find a way to insulate it a bit better, as the winters here in Wisconsin are brutal. I was browsing amazon and the following coops caught my eye:

Pawhut Deluxe
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007D8319O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1381069858&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

2 Story Large Chicken Coop
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CP...qid=1381070230&sr=8-91&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Coop without run
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CH...qid=1381070487&sr=8-21&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
    I thought if I selected this one I would purchase a large dog kennel as a run and put the coop inside?

Thanks for any input...I am so lost on the coop situation!

4. steiggy

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
  5. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    You dont need construction experience to build something. It is always fun to try and is much more satisfying when you put something together yourself, no matter what it looks like.

If your timid, I would suggest a very simple hoop coop. Which you can make very easily with absolutely no experience.

IMO, most people find that online kits are way overpriced and made cheaply. They tend to be a lot smaller than you think and fall apart rather quickly.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I agree that you don't need any skills to build something. I did, and even though there are some mistakes, it is still an awesome coop, large enough for me, easy to work with, super secure and the chickens don't care about the mistakes. They just want treats.

7. luvmychixandducks

luvmychixandducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Danvers, Massachusetts
    If you are concerned about your building ability, look for something structurally sound and adapt it to a chicken home.
    View craigslist for a little tykes playhouse or a fort like structure even a well used swing set with the climbing tower - I've seen both modified into great chicken homes with little modification. Both of the above I've seen offered free for the taking.
    Also have seen some thrown together coops offered free just to get rid of them.
    My own coop came from craigslist - it needed basic modifications to be really efficient but the girls are safe and dry and out of the wind.
    For $60. and a day of modifying adding a window and a coop door that slides open and locks tight at night, we're good to go. My pen was a dog kennel made of chain link panels which I covered with bird netting to keep out the hawks. That was $75. on Craigslist also.
    Like everybody else with a small coop I wish it was larger but it is what it is and didn't break the bank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by