1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hello
    Here's our story with our town officials.

We called them to ask about putting a new coop in, etc. No one answers. We call again 2 days later, someone answers, doesn't really give us clear answers, so. At the moment, we're just putting a coop about 30-40 feet away from our neighbors house. We kind of approached them and they don't seem to mind, I mean, we're not getting a rooster, so, we kind of doubted they would care much.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, are you just building the coop or are you trying to get an answer? We just decided to drop it and see what happens.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Personally I'd just do it.. without roosters likely Noone will complain. . Just don't spend 5000 on a coop. just in case

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Most laws/ordinances and building codes can be found online nowadays...

If you provide your exact location, State, County, City/Town or unincorporated, lot size and zoning type someone can likely point you towards the applicable laws...

4. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    We're custom building one

5. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    We've looked all over the place, can't find anything.

6. MeepBeep

Well if you would like some potential help locating the laws you really have to disclose your location as I outlined or else no one can help...

7. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Honestly, at the moment, we're just gonna let it be and not try to contact the town. It's set far enough from the road that I doubt we'll have a problem.

8. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    please don't be like this user

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110017/help-my-subdivision-is-suing-me

i would encourage you to get an answer and BE CLEAR of what is allowed and not allowed before you start. since you wouldn't want all that time+labor+costs going down the drain later right? or ended up in court?

my suggestion would be to check your town/city's code compliance department page or call their phone number

they should list a few code inspectors of the city.. they are the ones going around and issuing notices to people.. they will provide you with a clear answer

so get answer first before you start

for example.. let say glendale city.. they should have a page similar to this

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    As if I couldn't say it any more, we've tried everything. Phone calls, websites, meeting with the town officials, and they don't have a clear answer. There's nothing left to try.

10. MeepBeep

I asked for your location two times in this thread, both request ignored, so that is at least one avenue you have chosen to not explore for some reason... If you provide that info maybe some can help you locate the laws... Short of that laws are public domain and have to be available somewhere if not online your local library will almost always have a copy, as will most local college libraries and I guarantee the City Clerk's office has a copy for public inspection as that is their duty... Have you visited the local library, clerks office or local college and inquired about their copy of the local ordinances?

The blunt reality is that laws have to be published and available to the public or else they don't have the effect of law...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by