coop light

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
The new hens I have I know have to get used to my place here. But one thing I think I need some help with. When it comes time to go to roost it seems the inside of the coop is darker than the outside. Not all but a few of the chickens don't want to go in. I put a flashlight in one of the windows so it really brightens up inside and they all go in. I don't have electricity to the coop and the flashlight thing is going to get old. Could the inside be to dark for them to see? The door that I made to clean out the insides of the coop is a 31X36 inch window. I thought that would have put plenty of light in there.

What's my problem here?
roll.png

Last edited:
I am hoping someone has a solution for you. I have chickens that are scared of the dark. We got our babies the end of July and had the brooder light on for them and then where we are it turned pretty chilly and was into the 50s at night so I left the heat lamp on for them. Now it's hot again and two times I turned the lights off in their pen and they got in a huddle and just screamed and screamed until I turned the light back on. Now I have the big light on in the middle of the barn so they are not totally in the dark. I wanted them to go to sleep at night because there are 25 of them and they are going through a huge amount of food every week. I thought maybe I could turn all the lights off early and let them naturally sink into the dark and maybe they wouldn't notice!!!!! Good luck with yours.

I just went thru this myself. I had been leaving
the light on b/c I thought they would go back to
the coop easier. Once they got the hang on going
home themselves, (we did have to coax them the first
three to four nights), they go in all by themselves, with
no light on, go for the perches and NIGHT NIGHT!
Tonight we had a very hard rainstorm before dark, they retreated
underneath the coop. I thought, well, there they would stay.
But, just after the rain, still a drizzle, I went to check and
NIGHT NIGHT. I'm so proud!
celebrate.gif

try some of those solar garden lights, you can get some plastic ones pretty cheep. They don't give a lot of light, but maybe just enough. That's what I use. I have mine situated right outside the door, where they can "soak up" the sun for charging. By the time I get the actual door finished, the young ones will be roosting also, so at that point i won't be needing them at that spot, and can put them back in their proper place. If you need them inside the coop, just put them in the coop at nite and pull them out to charge them during the day.

Had this problem to but was able to run an extension cord to the coop.

You can get those sticky backed battery powered lights at the hardware store.

They will figure all out before long. Beats having to catch them one by one and putting them in.

There is a dimmer/timer that can simulate the sun going down, that would be more gradually and less startling.
My electrician friend told me about them, perhaps that could help. I'd check w/ electrial suppliers if you're interested.

Last edited:
Patience. Chickens like to stay up and out as long as it is light out. Age may play a role here too. My older birds would get on the roost early. They will roost for the night where they are used to, when it is dark enough outside for them individually. They can see well enough inside since you have a decent size window. That is my experience, never need to light their way for them.

Quote:
This is what I do too and they work fantastic. I bought 2 of them and just took off the stakes that you use to push them into the ground. Then you are left with just the light and mini solar panel and battery. I put them in the windows of the coup so they charge during the day. The 2 I bought last year cost me about 7 bucks and I am still using them. they give off enough light to coax the chickens inside once it starts getting dark and also enough light that I can do a head count at night. I have not noticed any effect on laying by doing this. Give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom