Coop lighting- supplemental lighting for the winter

AKCub

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I want to have supplemental lighting for my coop this winter but there isn't a power source near to the coop. Does anyone have a great or even good idea for lighting to give the ducks enough light to hopefully start laying this fall/winter?

I am looking for a LED lamp that has a timer powered by batteries but I am guessing the market for such a light is pretty small.

I do have a exterior house lamp close to the coop but I don't think it will provide enough light.

Scott

photo-3.jpg

A decent electrician should be able to splice some wire from the light on the house into a socket inside the coop, where you can have the extra light. Don't forget to stock up on some 65 watt incandescents before they come off the market after the first of the year.

I am sorry to not have any advice on the way you get power to the coop. I do it all myself and I am not an electrician, but I am careful. I would imagine you could easily change the light fixture to one that includes an outlet though. But once you get power there the best thing I have found so far is an outdoor timer that has a photoelectric eye that turn on at dusk and stays on til morning or for 2,4,6, or 8 hours. Good luck on a solution!

There are many solar options available for cheap.. I use a couple of solar powered spotlights that I got at walmart for about $10.. They last mostly thru the whole night. Sometimes they give out a couple hours before sunrise, but it will depend on the type and newness of the lights..

btw - you do have electricity to that area...the light bulb.

So it would NOT be hard to "open" that up and replace it with a outside ele box and an outlet.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom