1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ScoopTheCoop

ScoopTheCoop Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    Hey everyone. My current coop has 2 windows at the front by the door. They provide decent amount of lighting but I'm pretty sure I'll need more. I also have one heat lamp hanging in the coop but that's only for cold conditions. Any ideas on what to do for lighting? Preferably easy DIY ideas, nothing to expensive.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First of all, are they going to be kept in the coop 24/7? If they get to go outside, than you don't need extra lighting in the coop. Second, how cold do you consider cold conditions? Chickens can tolerate sub zero conditions very well, provided the copp is properly ventilated and dry. If the coop is closed in enough to keep the heat from the heat lamp in, it isn't vented enough. After all, the point of ventilation is to move air out of the coop. Any air warmed by the heat lamp would be expelled as well, providing next to no benefit to the flock. A well ventilated coop is much more important than a warm coop.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

4. ScoopTheCoop

Aug 21, 2016
    Yes my hens will be in the coop 24/7 during the winter. It gets way to cold here to let them in and out. Last winter we went as cold as -40. Could I replace my heat lamp bulb with a Brighter bulb? What are some ways to have a ventilated coop?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Honestly, I'd let them choose to go out. They are a lot hardier than most think. As for ventilation, check out the woods coop thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009681/woods-fresh-air-poultry-house

6. ScoopTheCoop

Aug 21, 2016
    Sounds good! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by