Coop lighting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ohbella, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ohbella

ohbella Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    SoCal
    Hello
    iam hoping this is the right place for this topic, but here it goes.

i have five hens, 2 SLWs, 1 welsumer, 1 EE, 1 blue americana. four i got this spring and have not started laying yet. one is older, got from a friend, she is laying, but getting less and less
    my question is, iam thinking the problem might be the season and shortened daylight, so i added a light in the coop
    i'm just hoping i did it right and have the timers for the right amount of hours
    right now i have the light go on at 5pm off at 9pm
    its a florescent "grow light" from home depot.
    other then at night, my girls are out in the yard, free range.
    they eat layer pellets, mixed with a bit of DE. they also get a handful of scratch in the morning and a plate of "yummies" (leftovers, kitchen scraps, yogurt, etc etc).

did i do the right the right way?
    any suggestions?

thanks!
    paula and girls!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    You have done everything correct. I am running my light from 4 to 8 because they are out of the coop in natural light by 9.

So, you might want to back up your timer an hour . . . . run it 4 - 8 or 4 - 9.

Some people spilt it up and run 2 - 3 hours early and then 2-3 hours late at bed time. . . .

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    They need 14 hrs of daylight to lay best and if adding artificial light, it is done best in am. Also hens molt in spring and fall...are urs losing alot of featrhers? They don't lay when they're molting. Hope this helps. BTW [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by