1. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I don't know if chickens are afraid of the dark or not, it seems like they are and it would make sense. They seem to get freaked out when I close their door up for the night and its all dark in there, usually I have to wait until they're asleep and then close the door.Anyways if they are is light nessicary and is there any specific kind? There old enough to the point a heat lamp would get to hot for them. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll be fine with no light. They have been around a lot longer than man made light!

3. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Yeah, thats true. Thanks!

4. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I have read that they cannot see well in the dark, that is why they head for their safe home at dusk. Maybe they freak out because they can't see that it is you making noise.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Surely there must be light coming in from the windows most of the times? we have moon stages but for the most part our coop gets light from the moon, so while it's fairly dark in there it's not dark unless it's a very overcast night, my ladies seem to mange just fine with it set-up like this, their perch/roost is right in front of a large glass window.

6. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    My coop doesn't exactly have windows... no room.... But we have a went up at the top on each side and I try to get some light in by that, any usualy I leave they're door cracked open some to give em some light and I leave a light on outside thats pretty close to there. And we currently don't have a roost, I'm planning on putting one in soon though, because 2 of our chickens died cause they would run by and hit they're head on the rooster so we're going to raise it.

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Does your coop have ventilation? Leaving the door open at night can let predators get in, unless the door opens to a super secure run.

8. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I leave my double doors to the coop open all day long, good for ventilation and they have the choice of hanging out in their run or perching between the double doors which they seem to enjoy. At night, I have one small crank out window , shut up the double doors, which have a window in one door as well.

I usually lock them in, when THEY have gone in, so they are all settled in their spots..I do have a light in the coop, and if I turn it on to do stuff in there or putting them to bed, they don't seem to mind whenI shut it off..

Once in awhile I'll hear them having a little tiff over the window seat, but for the most part, when mine are in and it's dark, it's really dark:)...

I may put some timer lights (string of xmas lights) in there for when the days are really short, but will have them come on early in the morning vs nightime light.

9. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Yes they do have vents to get some air moving, and the door Is open into a pen, don't worry i'm SUPER PARNOID about the coyotes. For my chickys and my dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by