1. wmcrenwelge

wmcrenwelge New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    Generally we have always laid hay on the coop floor for our chickens, but it is always so difficult to clean and mess with, so we wanted to try something new. We decided to switch to wood shavings, they are not very expensive, and it saves our hay for out goats. But, after putting they shavings into the coop, the chickens would not go in there. I think because the shavings are unfamiliar with them, so I mixed some hay with the shavings. Generally they like to scratch at anything, so I figured that would have a field day in all the shavings but they have not touched them. How do I get the acquanted with wood shavings?

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I would just leave them be - maybe put a few treats in plain view on the shavings....
    They'll get the idea.

3. bcboy

bcboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    What kind of wood shavings?p\
    Pine?

4. Lavendise

Lavendise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Chuluota,Florida
    I am new to the chicken world. I had used the hay also and I agree, it is a mess to remove from the coop. I go down to Tractor Supply and get the Pine Shavings. It is about 5.50 or 6 bucks. It comes in a giant pastic cube. The shavings are like condensed together so you get a lot more than you think. I have heard not to use other shavings as it can be toxic to chickens. I do believe that the pine shavings are the best for the birds.

5. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

I would place the Feeder and Water on the far end of the coop so when they get Hungry/Thirsty they'll have no choice but to cross on the shavings to feed and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by