1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop location...How about on my deck???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prettyheavysoul, Oct 1, 2013.

1. prettyheavysoul

prettyheavysoul New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    I am very new to this hobby. My pullets will be here in a week and I am spending time planning, learning and getting ready for their arrival. My question is how would putting my coop on my deck work out? I plan for my chickens to live mostly in the coop and be let out to roam around my back yard an hour or so in the morning or before dusk. Have others done this? I am thinking they could be safer and possible warmer located closer to my house. However, I am still not sure which method I will use for bedding(sand or wood shavings)..Will I scoop the poop frequently or layer. Which would work best with the coop on my deck instead of in my yard. Any experience or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Sure, that would work, if they have a run to run around in. Maybe you could attach a run on the ground next to the deck and have the coop on the actual deck raised up.

3. ZenHenMama

ZenHenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    You haven't described what your coop is like. Does it have a floor, or were you planning for the deck to be the floor? How big is it? If you are devoting the deck towards the chickens then it would be ok. If your deck is really nice and you want it to still be a deck for you, then you might think twice. Hope your backyard has a a fence around it, otherwise you might want a run. Even though I built a run, I still like to let the chickens roam all day. These are your choices and what you like to do. What you experience will make you decide.

4. prettyheavysoul

prettyheavysoul New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    My deck is huge. It's divided into two sections. When I step out from my back door I am on the first level(smaller level) which is where I'd like to keep the chickens. Then to the left the higher level where we'd have a BBQ and table/chairs. My coop would fit fine but it does not have a floor. It would probably make sense to frequent clean and dispose droppings but I love the idea of layering and using the poop as fertilizer for my garden. If I did try the layer method I would put a large tarp down. My thinking is this would make it easier to remove the compost by lifting the tarp and carrying it to my compost heap twice a year(or more?). Not sure it would be that easy though. Thats mainly what I am trying to figure out. Which method scooping or layering works best for a coop on a deck?

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: "Huge" is a relative term.
    I'd NOT put a coop on the deck for a couple of reasons.
    First, it WILL be dirty, and secondly, if you ever decide to sell, it will NOT help at all.

Put it out in the yard so you can add a run for them to use during the day.
    It's not good for them to be "cooped up" 99% of the time

6. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop

7. prettyheavysoul

prettyheavysoul New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    I am starting to think you are right the deck not being a good idea. I'll have four pullets. I want them to be able to have access to grass more often too. I am just nervous about predators and keeping them dry. I live in rainy Washington and I have a feeling we'll have a very wet winter. My yard is fully fenced and secure still there are a lot of racoons around here.

8. ZenHenMama

ZenHenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Based on what you said, I would vote for putting your coop off deck and away from your food,entertaining area.I wouldn't worry about raccoon attacks while they're roaming your yard they could get away. My birds have been outside for 10 weeks now (they were 5 weeks old)and they have cover to get under, lots of plants and trees, and they wise up quick to the wild birds alarm calls.But I'm a newbie too,so maybe I don't know so much.Still, I let mine roam all day, the coop is simply their bedroom. LOL

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. They need a run, they will not be happy chickens if kept in a coop that much of the time. Are you building a coop or buying one?

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Get a trap or two for the coons, and build a secure coop and run, because the coons won't care if they are right against your house, or 20 ft, or even 100 ft away away.

You'd quickly regret having done it all on your deck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by