Coop location ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BentoMinion, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BentoMinion

BentoMinion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    I posted this in the Michigan thread too since I figured maybe not all of them would look here and well, they understand this odd Michigan weather we have.

This is my back yard. We live just outside of the city where normal lots are around .4 or .5 acres. We have a .8 acre lot. My back yard is fenced in. The woods in the back of the property actually belongs to the Elem. school. We have 2 sheds which I was told are off limits to any animals. lol You see the one in the lower area in this picture. I am only allowed to have the chickens in the lower area. Or that is what my SO says.

[​IMG]
    As you can tell, I have darling little kids. Our back is basically 2 tiers. The bottom starts just on the other side of the cement slab. I am told that the darker area (which was a garden before we moved in and I still use that spot for gardening) use to be where an in ground pool was located years ago. I am told that it was torn out by the last people who owned the place. They left the small retaining wall which runs the length of the cement. Then there is a grass/dirt slope and then to the far right a very small "wall" and another slope next to the fence. To the left side you can see part of the fence. There is a grass covered drive (to get to the lower gate). We do own that drive. On the other side of it is a neighbor who has a privacy fence on the upper side. The lower side neighbor has trees forming a "fence". To the right is my neighbor who has ducks. I know hte duck neighbor but nor the other 2. I do know the one with the privacy fence is very yuppie from their yard and well, observation.

[​IMG]
    T
    his is the lower left side of the above picture. You can also kinda tell where my garden is. There is at least 8 feet between the wall and my garden. Maybe more. This year I am actually going to build raised beds for my garden. Now, I can have a smaller coop on the upper part of the wall (on the cement slab) as long as it was not over 5 feet long and as long as it was up against the fence. Or I can have it in the bottom area there... or I can have it both. I could put my little hut in the corner and have a run going the length of the wall. OR I can have the run go along the fence. Once again, I do not know the people on this side. This area is a little flatter than the other side.

[​IMG]

This is the other side. From that little wall to the shed (shed from the top pic, not the one you see here) is maybe 15-20 feet. You cannot tell it to well, but this whole area is a semi gentle slope. Along that little wall it is dug down a little and is mostly flat right there. The neighbor on that side has the ducks. Her set up is actually on the other side of the wood fence piece you see. She has a large dog run? (the chin link cube, not a cage) that is attached to the white shed you see the top of. She is really friendly. I have to admit, I would almost prefer to have my chickens near her since she will not really care if they make noise or anything.

Our township allows 10 chickens. I was told there was no rule against roosters that they saw. I would like to have 10. I want the chickens for eggs. Next year after I get a little bit under my belt (I said little bit, not a lot. lol) I would like to raise some meat. I figure if no one has issues this year, then I would be ok next year to add in a few.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not sure of your specific question but 2 things. Put your coop in the shade and have 2 housing locations.
    It's important to have a separate location to quarantine ill/injured birds or new birds.
    Many people want to make use of the sun for warmth in winter but chickens die from heat and bad air rather than cold.
    A coop in a sunny location at 3 AM on January 15 will be just as cold as one in the shade. On the other hand a coop in a sunny location in the middle of August will get quite hot.

3. BentoMinion

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Sorry. My thoughts get all jumbled. I may have not even asked.

I was just wanting thoughts on the best location in my yard for the chicken coop. I had 2 spots that I liked (shown above). I did not want them to far from the house because of feeding them in the winter.

The 2nd picture with the friendly neighbor would be the better option then. The coop (that is the house part, right?) would be in the shade of a tree in the spring and summer. Not directly under the tree, but under the branches. It gets some great shade there. The run would be a little shade and a lot of sunlight. in the winter, the whole part gets sun because there are no leaves.

4. BentoMinion

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Although the taller wall does create some shade as well. On hot days the boys use to go down next to the bottom of the wall to play rather than under any of the trees. So that would lead me to believe it is cooler there. I am sure the blocks help with that. Also that little corner does have a small tree. Not a large one but... IDK if that would add as much cool as that wall does though.

5. mdbtalon

mdbtalon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Sounds like you may have it figured out.

I would just add a couple things to keep in mind. One is keep in mind that assuming it is a relatively small run you are going to end up with bare ground sooner rather than later. If the run is on a slope like the ground shown in the last picture you will probably end up with some erosion issues unless the water from above the hill is diverted around the run.

Also keep in mind wind when building your coop and locating it. You will want vents to keep moisture from becoming an issue, but you also do not want a drafty coop (especially if vent are primarily oriented toward direction of predominant winter winds). If possible I would orient in a way that you have solid wall facing the predominant winter wind direction.

6. BentoMinion

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    I had not thought of that.... The wind comes from the down side of the slope. I do not know if it makes a difference, but the lighter blue shed may shelter the run and coop from the wind since it would be fairly close to the end of the run. I could always build the run all the way around the coop. Then have the entrance to the coop facing the house (away from the wind) and they would be able to walk all the way around.

As far as water, that is why I wanted to build the coop right up against those existing walls. They would protect it from any water that may run down. I thought I would extend it out a little more after it was made to help with the flow of water as well. The slope is steeper the closer you get to the other wall. That would work in my favor I think.

Or if I built the coop against the other wall (the one the kids liked to play under, so I think it must be cool. I do know it creates shade) the coop would be raised and the run longer. I will have to watch the sun over there tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by